CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1077301

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077301 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 05:45:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: Beachamwell

National Grid Reference: TF 75058 05349

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 70 NE BEACHAMWELL THE GREEN

7/4 Church of St.Mary 23.6.60

GV I

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint, mainly rendered with ashlar and some brick dressings. Thatch and lead roofs. West tower; nave with north porch and south aisle; chancel on same alignment as nave. Late C11 circular western tower with an off-set at first floor level. 2-light Perpendicular west window at ground floor level. Loops to west and south at first floor level and a clock face to north. 4 rustic former twin bell openings; to south and east they have arched heads and limestone slabs applied to outward faces of central flint piers; to west and north they have triangular heads and mid- wall shafts with through stone slabs; the shaft to north is of square or rectangular section whilst the western one is a bulbous baluster shaft with a rough capital and base and exaggerated astragals. Late Medieval octagonal bell stage with 4 2-light traceried bell openings alternating with blind openings in flushwork. The openings have been partially blocked with brick- work forming geometric patterns. Pitched roof with lead covered central mast. North west angle of nave with surviving long and short quoins. One 2-light Flat-headed traceried window to north side of nave. Late Medieval north porch with 2-light side windows, an arched entrance and a later stepped gable. C15 roll-moulded and embattled wall plates inside. C14 double-ogee and wave moulded north doorway. C15 south aisle with moulded doorway and 2 2-light traceried windows with transoms. Eastern extensionof aisle dated 1832 with 2 3-light traceried windows with transoms to south and east of Medieval date re-used. Chancel with a modern 3-light east window and a 2-light uncusped window to north. Interior. Tower appears to be an addition to pre-existing nave. Semicircular headed tower arch (former west door) with roughly tooled voussoirs exposed. Off-centre upper doorway. No chancel arch. 4-bay arcade of which the 2 western bays are C14 with quatrefoil pier and responds. Filletted shafts with intermediate rolls and polygonal capitals/bases. Arches of 2 orders with a double ogee moulding. 2 eastern bays plastered and, according to the inscription, were built in 1832 by John Motteux when the aisle was extended. Piscina to centre of south wall with cusped head. Cast iron altar table cum strong box of 1835 designed by John Motteux consisting of intricate grills reminiscent of Arabic fretwork supported on 6 octagonal shafts. Opening side grills and an oak top bordered with brass. C17 polygonal pulpit set into blocked C15 priest 19 door with cusped spandrels. Pulpit with carved frieze and bracketted lectern. Choir stalls with a re- used C17 lectern. Medieval graffiti on western arcade respond. Pair of wall tablets in chancel to John Motteux (died 1793) and John Motteux (died 1843) set beneath crocketted ogee arches with carved head stops and fleurons.

Listing NGR: TF7505805349

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 220906

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing