CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077452
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077452.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:58:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Harling
National Grid Reference:
TL 98994 86682

Details

TL 9986 HARLING CHURCH ROAD (North Side)

10/31 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 16/7/58 - I

Parish church. c.1300 with sporadic building programmes to c.l450, restored 1878-9. Flint with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Tower c.1300 of 3 stages with angle buttresses. Statue niches to western buttresses under trefoil head and crocketted gable. Stair turret to south-east. 2-light arched belfry windows below pierced crenellated parapet of c.1450. Lead spire, also mid C15 supported on 8 flying buttresses each with crocketted finials forming corona. South aisle windows replaced mid C15 by Perpendicular fenestration under 4 centred arches, 2 early C14 fragments surviving : 4-light east and west. and 2 3-light in flank. Flat buttresses and mid C15 south porch with diagonal buttresses and tiers of flushwork blind tracery panels to south and east. Arched door below trefoiled statuary niche and gabled roof behind parapet. 2-light side windows. Arched inner door with wave mouldings and fleuron-leaf trail in arch. Clerestory mid C15 of 9 3-light windows under depressed arches with continuous hood mould. Chancel structurally early C14 now with mid C15 windows except C14 2-light west window of a single retriculation unit. Arched Priest's door and 3-light Perpendicular south window under depressed arch. Diagonal eastern buttresses and 5-light east window of 1450-80 with super mullions and 2 crenellated transoms. One 3-light 4-centred window over chancel arch to nave of similar date. North chapel added 1460's necessitating relocation north-east buttress : depressed 3-light window to east with blocked parvis lights above and on north face. Priest's door square headed. Flat buttresses to north aisle and 4 3-light Perpendicular windows, one raised above north door. INTERIOR. 5 bay arcade of quatrefoil piers with rolls between lobes to north, keels to south, on round moulded bases and polygonal plinths. Polygonal capitals and double sunk quadrant arches. Clerestory windows with rere arches and engaged columns on polygonal bases below capitals. Complex moulded tower arch with octagonal responds, chancel arch late C14 as arcades. Hammerbeam roof of 10 trusses dropping on arched braces to wall posts on corbels carved in form of angels. Main and brace spandrels have pierced tracery. 2 tiers butt purlins and ridge piece. Crenellated tie beam over rood. Window over chancel arch shafted. Aisle roofs with wall and arched braces, the latter with pierced tracery spandrels, 3 moulded butt purlins and principals as nave. These roofs mid C15. Tower gallery of early C17 with turned balusters and moulded handrail above heavy C15 bressummer. Octagonal C14 font with tracery panels on stem and quatrefoils on bowl. 2 fragments of rood screen of c.1500 at west end of nave each of 3½ bays, painted and with tracery panels. South nave chapel screen to aisle C15. Central ogeed opening and irregular 3-light bays right and left all with Perpendicular tracery net in heads. Painted dado with ogeed blind tracery. Tierceron coving to east and west with moulded top rail and cusped decoration above. C14 parclose screen divides chapel from nave in 3 square bays each with 3 lights divided by circular muntins below early Perpendicular lozenge tracery heads and crenellated top rail. Fragment of fourth screen now incorporated into front of bench in chapel of cusped ogee lights and further decoration. Chancel roof scissor braced 1878. East window glass is complete of 1480 : 20 panels below head depict Annunciation to Pentecost cycle and figures of Sir William Chamberlayne (died 1462) and Sir Robert Lingfield (died 1480), who donated the glass. Monuments in south- east nave chapel. To east Sir Robert Harling (died 1435) : quatrefoiled tomb chest with surround in form of ogeed canopy cusped and sub-cusped with leaf decoration and symbolic figures. 2 alabaster effigies within not in situ. To west is tombe of Sir Thomas Lovell (died 1604) and wife: Alabaster and marble with 2 effigies on heraldic tomb chest behind screen of 3 modified Tuscan columns supporting entablature and achievement. Obelisks at corners. Rear wall bears inscriptions between strapwork pilasters. Monuments in chancel. Between chancel and north chapel to Sir William Chamberlayne (died 1462): Panelled tomb chest with 4-centred canopy with vaulted ceiling and panelled sides, the sides with niches for figures. Wide diagonal buttresses also panelled and with niches flank 5 ogeed overlights, the ogees with crocketted finials rising to crenellated top rail. Achievement over. To east is tombe of Sir Francis Lovell (died 1551) : Panelled tomb chest with divisions of fluted pilasters. Flat canopy against wall framed by Doric columns on plinths carrying entablature with circular pediment bearing inscription plates. On south wall opposite is identical tombe of Sir Thomas Lovell (died 1567). 6 C15 stalls with misercords and figured arm rests. Many poppy head benches of similar date. Trefoiled Holy water stoop by north door of nave carried on faceted stem. Fragment of wall painting in north nave wall. Good painted restoration Royal Arms of Charles II dated 1660. South door lobby contains C17 carved panels below remains of one early C14 south aisle window.

Listing NGR: TL9899486682

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220546
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12114/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].