CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077510
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077510.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:11:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Quidenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 01913 89356

Details

TM 08 NW QUIDENHAM ECCLES

7/126 Church of St. Mary (formerly 16.7.58 listed as Church of St. Mary the Virgin) - II* Parish church, Flint with ashlar dressings. Nave roof slate, chancel plain tiled. West tower C12, nave and demolished south aisle very late C13, altered C15, chancel late C13 altered C15, church restored 1885 and additional restoration of tower 1950-51. 2 stage round tower. One square light to west, 3 arched splayed lights to ringing chamber. String course below Y traceried 2-light belfry windows, some without mullions and blocked with brick. Crenellated parapet rebuilt in brick and flint. South aisle demolished c.1740 leaving remains of east and west window jambs. South aisle door re-set into blocked west arcade bay : 2 orders of sunk quadrants. Arcades blocked to capitals C18 with brick and glazed in arch with leaded lights. Parapet between nave and chancel. 2 C19 2-light panel traceried south chancel windows above string course which rises, square, over arched Priest's door. Diagonal east buttresses frame 3-light Perpendicular east window of 1870. North side windows all C19 2-light to chancel, 3-light to nave, 2 flat north nave buttresses. C15 gabled north porch of knapped flint to north face, coursed flint east and west. 2 fleuron trails to jambs and arch, the former divided by column with leaf capitals. Blocked statuary niche over door. Interior. 4 bay arcade to south of quatrefoil piers and moulded capitals under arches of sunk quadrants, hollows and rolls. North porch now vestry with inner door late C14 : jambs hollow and wave moulded separated by wide casement containing relief reticulation trail. Plain octagonal font with grotesque heads under bowl. Low pointed tower arch below Royal Arms of George II. Pews and roof 1885, the latter with moulded tie beams, wall plate, collars and 2 tiers staggered butt purlins. Rood beam and cross with Christ and S.S. Mary and John 1959. Chancel arch has fleurons and double wave mouldings and blind tracery panels right and left, all C15. Chancel roof 1885 : 2 tiers butt purlins and arched collars. Monument to Samuel Bircham 1732 on north chancel wall beside blocked window and door arch. Fine late C13 double piscina of 2 moulded arches on columns with square hood containing trefoil spandrel figures. Early C17 pulpit panelled with flower scroll below top rail, which is supported on carved brackets.

Listing NGR: TM0191389356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220373
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16235/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth D'Maurney-Gibbons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].