CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS INCLUDING TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077512
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Aug-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS INCLUDING TOWER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS INCLUDING TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077512.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:23:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS INCLUDING TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Quidenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 01992 91350

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/05/2015

TM 09 SW 3/129 16.7.58

QUIDENHAM HARGHAM Church of All Saints including tower(Formerly listed as Church of All Saints, remains of nave and chancel)(Formerly listed as Tower of Church of all Saints)

GII* Parish church.Early C14 with C15 alterations,restored 1874.Flint with ashlar quoins and dressings and plain tiled roofs.Two western bays of nave collapsed mid C18 leaving the west tower free standing.Chancel lower than nave,which has parapeted east gable.Tower is unbuttressed and in three stages with some of medieval render surviving.Three-light Perpendicular west window with fragments of tracery.Single arched lancets to ringing chamber and square belfry windows containing diagonal ogeed quatrefoils.Brick parapet probably C17.Double chamfered tower arch to nave on moulded corbels.Roof line of nave on east face.West wall of nave rebuilt a bay to west of chancel arch.Coursed flint with reused C14 door arch moulded with filleted rolls and hood on head stops.Fragment of north and south walls project west.C20 timber bell-cote at south west corner.Flat east nave buttresses.One two-light C19 Perpendicular window under hood on labels north and south.Square low side window to chancel south,arched Priest's door and external squint.Two two-light C19 Perpendicular windows.Diagonal buttresses to east and three-light Perpendicular window also C19.One similar,but smaller,north chancel window.C19 lean-to vestry with eastern paired trefoil lancets.West of vestry is original paired trefoil lancet window under super arch.INTERIOR.Pews 1874,as are chancel and nave scissor-braced and boarded roofs.Angle piscina in chancel with double ogeed arches and mouchette tracery.Painted and stencilled dado to east end of chancel,which also has a series of memorial slabs set into floor.decagonal plain font on circular stem and decagonal moulded astragals and base.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220376
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10863/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kevin Cleary. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].