This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WOLFERTON STATION DOWNSIDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WOLFERTON STATION DOWNSIDE

List entry Number: 1077593

Location

WOLFERTON STATION DOWNSIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sandringham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 222166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDRINGHAM WOLFERTON STATION TF 62 NE (downside, NW side) 2/74 Downside GV II* Former station buildings, now private house and museum to the downside (north- west) platform, including suite of royal reception and retiring rooms, 1898, by W.N. Ashbee, architect to the Great Eastern Railway. Carstone with brick dressings and half-timbering, plain tiles renewed. Single storey range of Royal Suite to right, link of 1969 at centre to public waiting rooms to left. Small carstone to ground floor below window level, upper ground floor half timbered with rendered panels. Royal Suite: of 3 bays, the centre bay breaks forward under projecting gabled roof supported by brackets with large Tudor roses, wall plate to facade and returns with carved Tudor rose and flower decoration, a cross stack to either side of central bay. Central double leaved doors with linenfold panelling; gable above with Prince of Wales feathers and motto within Garter in plaster; leaded windows to 1st and 3rd bay of 3 lights with transoms, each window under gablet with barge board and drop finial; similar barge boards to central gable; right return with 2 tall narrow leaded windows; to right small flat roofed extension in carstone and brick with clear leaded lights to openings, double leaved part glazed door with linenfold panelling under 4-centred arch with carved spandrels, frieze above of Tudor roses and flowers. Attached carstone wall to rear of platform with 4-centred arch in carstone with carved spandrels, low gates. Interior: fittings complete and unaltered, oak panelling, 8-panelled doors with gold plated fittings, plaster ceilings and cornice friezes, fire places with glazed brick surrounds; suite comprises central reception room with opposing double leaved doors to platform and forecourt, marble fire place, Prince's Room to right with marble fire place having oak mantelpiece across rear angle, washroom to right with original WC and urinal. Princess's Room to left with marble fire place, washroom with original WC. Equerry's corridor to right between platform and Prince's Room: panelled, double-leaved part-glazed doors with leaded lights and linenfold panelling to platform and outside. Public Waiting Rooms: to left, now private house plus link of 1969 to match reusing window formerly to left return of Royal Suite: 3 bays, single storey. 1st bay forms archway to platform with canopied entrance under hipped roof supported by cast iron brackets incorporating St. George's cross; bays 2 and 3 with 2-light leaded windows, cross stack between bays 2 and 3. Platform: canopy to platform with fretwork verge and glazed roof lights, octagonal wooden posts. Forms a group with the Clockhouse q.v. 2/79 and The Original q.v. 2/81. Article in The Sphere, Dec. 8th 1900, p289.

Listing NGR: TF6605128541

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Sphere' in 8 December, (1900), 289

National Grid Reference: TF 66051 28541

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077593 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2018 at 06:01:59.

End of official listing