Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:18:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
South Wootton
National Grid Reference:
TF 64035 22752


SOUTH WOOTTON CHURCH LANE TF 62 SW 5/87 Church of St. Mary 15.8.60 II* Parish church, medieval, uncoursed carstone rubble with some erratics, brick sandstone, flint and limestone; plain tiled roof. North-west tower with 1985 extension, nave, chancel, north and south chapel transepts, south porch. 3-stage square tower re-built c1890, galletted carstone with some sandstone, brick dressings, small pyramidal roof behind embattled parapet; semi-circular headed west window and bell openings, oblong slits to 2nd stage; very wide buttress to north with some Cll stone quoins and much iron conglomerate. North nave windowless, brick eaves courses, small blocked north doorway with plain pointed chamfered arch. North transept canted to west, roof continuous with nave roof, hung gault tiles above canted roof to nave; 3-light window to north and 2-light window to north-west, all lights with trefoil heads. Large lean-to across north chancel wall of 1896, mausoleum now vestry, carstone with dark limestone ashlar dresings, green slate roof, diagonal buttresses; two large low plain 3-light windows to north, one to east, large doorway to right with hollow chamfered surround. C13 chancel with stone dressed angle buttresses, gable cross, gable parapet; tall 4-light east window with Decorated tracery; central buttress to south chancel, Y tracery window to right. South transept and windows as north transept but with diagonal buttress to east; two 3-light windows to south nave as transepts, part renewed; windowless south porch with broken flint to front, upper part of porch arch renewed; porch now sealed. Single storey extension of 1985 to south and west of tower. Entrance to church now through west wall of nave from 1985 addition, remains of Cll stone quoins to left jamb. Entrance to tower and to nave gallery through arch of 1985 in south wall. Interior: double hollow chamfered chancel arch with polygonal shafts, hollow chamfered jambs with trefoil stops; early C14 arcade of piscina and 3 stepped sedilia with ogee moulded shafts and arches, trefoil heads within arches. North and south chapels with shafts at arris to nave; aumbry and C14 trefoil headed piscina having figure stops of male and female to south chapel; Cll square font with large grotesques at angles, on 9 columns; rendered altar tomb in north chancel with heraldic achievements and pilasters, shelly marble slab, to Thomas Winde 1603; nave roof of 1880s in pine,hammer beams with arch braces to collars; chancel roof boarded; west gallery inserted 1985 with C19 balustrade of Romanesque style intersecting arcade in wood from church of St. Matthew Norwich; bier dated 1611 in gallery with hooped hearse having long rails painted with biblical texts.

Listing NGR: TF6403522752


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01876/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].