CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077615
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 01:38:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDELENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandringham
National Grid Reference:
TF 69119 28592

Details

SANDRINGHAM SANDRINGHAM TF 62 NE 2/47 Church of St. Mary Magdelene 15.8.60 II* Parish church, medieval, restored by S.S. Teulon 1855 and A. Blomfield 1890. Dark shell carstone with stone dressings, tiled roof. West tower, nave, chancel and south porch; additions of south transept, north aisle and organ bay, vestibule to south chancel. Tower with stepped diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with carstone flushwork, crocketted finials, gargoyle to south; polygonal turret to south-east; west window of 3 lights with panel tracery under basket head, retangular sound holes, segmental headed traceried double square bell openings and clock face of 1898 to all 4 faces. C15 2 storeyed porch with diagonal buttresses, 4-centred arch with round shafts part renewed, carstone flushwork to either side, central tall niche above with ogee head, flanking trefoil headed lights; single trefoil headed lights to porch returns. Porch interior: roof renewed, floor to upper storey lost, reset marble slab now mural with brass arms and inscription to Wm. Cobbis, 1546; south doorway with continuous moulded 4-centred arch. South nave window of 3 lights with panel tracery under 4-centred head. South transept of 1890 with similar window reset, both with figure stops; C19 2-light window with panel tracery to east of transept. South chancel with C19 single light with tracery of 2 daggers. Vestibule c1896 across priests door, in carstone with stone embattled parapet, 2-light window to left, door to right, vestibule the private entrance of H.M. Queen. C19 set back angle buttresses to chancel, 3-light window with panel tracery, 1909. C19 additions to north: vestry with embattled parapet, 2-bay north aisle with 2 gables and window as south aisle, gabled organ bay with blocked doorway, all with diagonal buttresses. C19 gable crosses to porch, chancel and nave. Interior: arch braced nave roof with angel corbels, gilded bosses and quatrefoil frieze of 1921; continuous 4-centred arches to 2 bay north arcade and to south transept of 1890; arch in north aisle between bays; chamfered chancel arch with polygonal jambs, painted hammerbeam chancel roof of 1890; tall tower arch with continuous roll and wave mouldings; panelling to nave, C15 style painted panelling to chancel with Gothick canopies and saints of 1920, panelling to tower with gilded frieze and angels. C15 glass of saints in tracery panels of south window and north west window of aisle, some C17 glass in north aisle. Silver reredos of 1911 showing the Appearance of the Risen Christ inscribed "IN MEMORY OF EDWARD VII THE PEACEMAKER", silver altar of 1920 incorporating the Royal achievement; metal rails with silver angels; Wineglass pulpit of 1924 with silver panels; 10 relief rondels around walls depicting members of the Royal family from Princess Alice 1879 to King George VI in bronze 1952. P. Ashton: A Guide to Church of St. Mary Magdelene, Sandringham, 1957 Pitkin Pictorial.

Listing NGR: TF6911928592

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
222155
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ashton, P, A Guide to Church of St Mary Magdelene Sandringham, (1957)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].