CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077627

Date first listed: 15-Aug-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:26:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)

Parish: Roydon

National Grid Reference: TF 69913 23656

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROYDON CHURCH LANE TF 62 SE 1/76 Church of All Saints 15.8.60 - II* Parish church, 1857 by G.E. Street, incorporating C12 doorways and C13 tower. Uncoursed random Sandringham sandstone with pink stone dressings, plain tiles. West tower, nave, chancel and south porch. C13 west tower of uncoursed flint with limestone dressings, diagonal buttresses; 'Y tracery west window with figure stops, probably all of 1857; small quatrefoil sound holes; string course to bell stage, Y tracery bell openings; string course to embattled parapet. Nave: shallow aisle buttresses, string course and upper string course running into semi-circular headed openings, 4 to south, 3 to north, all with wide surrounds partly recessed; gable cross. C12 north and south doorways reset, each with semi-circular head of 3 orders, zig-zag to middle order; shafts to jambs with decorative capitals and imposts; boarded doors of 1857 with decorative strap hinges. Wide south porch with low eaves, buttresses continue facade; semi-circular arch with stylistic chevron moulding; double shafts to jambs with stylistic waterleaf capitals; interior of pink ashlar. Chancel with angle buttresses and central buttress to south chancel as to nave; 2 openings each to north and south chancel as to nave, those to north flanking outshut vestry in style. East chancel with arcade having 3 semi-circular headed lights articulated by shafts as to south porch, treble floral voussoirs, treble dogstooth hood mould with grotesque stops. Bullseye opening in gable within stepped recess having decorative mouldings; gable cross. Interior: pink ashlar; arch braced collar beam roof having twisted king posts to collars. C19 chancel arch in C12 style, 2 orders of dogstooth and roll mouldings, decorative corbels to jambs; side shafts to both east and west with clasping rings; low wall across chancel arch. Chancel roof with king posts from arch braced collars; arcade to east chancel light of 3 arches with 4 shafts as to chancel arch; piscina. and double sedilia having arcade of 3 semi-circular headed arches with shafts having decorative capitals. Square sandstone font of 1857 colonettes and central sandstone pier. C14 tall double chamfered arch to tower.

Listing NGR: TF6991323656

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 222009

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing