CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077646
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LYNN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077646.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:12:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LYNN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Middleton
National Grid Reference:
TF 66268 15989

Details

MIDDLETON LYNN ROAD TF 61 NE (north side) 5/50 Church of St. Mary 15-8-60 II* Parish church, C13 and later, restored late C19. Uncoursed carstone rubble with stone dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. Tower with embattled parapet of pink brick, string course with gargoyles; diagonal buttresses up to bell stage; polygonal stair turret to north-west; west doorway renewed with C19 mouldings and figure stops; lower part of west facade in pink brick. C19 west window of 3 transomed lights with tracery above, sill breaking string course below; small lancet to west, north and south faces; bell stage with clockface of 1897 to south, bell openings each of 2 cusped lights under a quatrefoil. Nave, chancel and porch with gable parapets and courses. Nave with green slate roof, 4 clerestorey openings to north and south each of 2 cusp-headed lights under a square head. North and south aisles extend westwards to clasp tower; each with lead roof, diagonal buttresses and 4 straight buttresses (2 to south); each with 3 2-light renewed openings with panel tracery under a square head; similar openings to west of south aisle and east of north aisle; east window of south aisle with Decorated tracery of 2 large mouchettes and a quatrefoil; moulded doorway with renewed arches to north and south. Wide south porch rebuilt, diagonal buttresses, plain limestone arch with carstone voussoirs above; tunnel vault with stone ribs, stone benches; returns with double cusp-headed lights under square hood mould with rebates. Chancel with diagonal buttresses, north and south walls raised; 3-light east window of, 1862 with simple panel tracery, south and north chancel each with 2 2-light openings having plate tracery circular light above, the lights with delicate cusped bars standing proud; south chancel with priest's doorway. Mural monument of 1812 on east wall to Elizabeth Fysh by Eldridge of Lynn, fluted columns supporting open pediment having relief cherub within. Interior: north and south 4-bay arcades, lozenge piers with cut off angles and no capitals, moulded arches; arch braced roof supported on C19 foliage corbels, much of roof renewed, C19 bosses, some medieval braces, moulded purlins and principal rafters. South and north aisles with C19 roofs; south aisle with piscina and squint to chancel from high plinth with glazed medieval tiles. Chancel arch with polygonal jambs and double hollow chamfered arch, label stops of male and female heads; chancel roof of 1862 supported on elaborate foliage corbels, some with birds. C13 string course of deeply cut foliage bosses to left and right of western-south windows, C13 double piscina with deeply cut holly foliage mouldings, spandrel between with lily; C13 rear arch of east window with narrow moulding. C19 sedilia in stone with coloured infill to relief pattern sculpture at rear; 4 double panels of painted screen heavily restored and repainted to north chancel; 15 Tournai marble ledger slabs including 2 with shield of Fysh surrounded by 3 fishes, 1742 and 1749. Tower with arches to east, south and north with hollow chamfers and roll mouldings, rising from massive lozenge piers with cut off angles. C19 octagonal font. C16 alms box from poppy head bench end with wrought iron straps and hinges against south pier of tower.

Listing NGR: TF6626815989

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221982
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01876/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].