Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077655.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:00:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 78871 26067



1/34 Church of St. Lawrence.

15.8.60. I

Parish church. C13 evident in interior and to south aisle, C14 tower and chancel, C15 rebuilt nave and north aisle, south porch. Rubble flint with knapped and squared flint and freestone dressings, leaded nave and aisles, glazed chancel roofs. South-west tower, south porch, 5 bay nave and aisles, 3 bay chancel with north vestry. 4 stage south-west tower has stone plinth, 4 string course datestone, quoined angle buttresses with set offs. 4 2-light Decorated tracery belfry windows. Battlemented parapet. South-east buttress expanded as canted tower-stacks. Nave west gable has fine large 5-light Perpendicular west window, 5 ogee headed lower lights, central transom, elaborately intersected spandrel tracery. South-west angle buttress 5 bay Perpendicular north aisle has one west and 5 north 3-light tracery windows. Perpendicular north door. 5 bay Perpendicular clerestorey 5-light windows. South aisle has complex history, beginning with 3 south side c.1500 2-light 'Y' tracery windows. One 5-light stepped lancet east window under single arch c.1300. C14 2-light window at south-west junction with tower. Elaborate 2 bay Perpendicular south porch addition has 2 centred outer arch, gable with panelling and 3 niches. Stone plinth, angle set off buttresses, stone parapet and gable with angle spirelets. 2 north and south 2-light 2-centred arch Perpendicular windows, on interior with panelling in between, rere arches with shields. Fine richly moulded 2-centred inner arch house C15 oak door with outer band of niched saints, tracery upper spandrel, lower ogee arched wicket door with 2 angels and tracery panels under central transom division. Aisle heightened during incumbency of John Brewe, Rector 1389-1421, clerk and chaplain to Sir Robert Knollys, builder of Sculthorpe Church, Norfolk. Freestone battlmented parapet with panelling, blank tracery, coats of arms mainly of Knollys connections. Kneeling Angel at west, priest in rocket with dry and book at east. Fine 3 bay chancel and north vestry addition by John de Gurney, Rector 12 94-1332, also patron of Iwing. South side has one 2-light window with ogee head one 2-light with barbed trefoil head both under 2-centred arches, one 3-light Recticulated tracery window under ogee arch head. Fine ogee arch subcusped priest's door. 3 south buttresses with set offs, stone plinth, stong string course. East gable with set off buttresses has 3-light Decorated east window, probably a replacement of 1878, with roundel with 6 trefoils in head. Elaborately crotchetted parapet gable to steeply pitched roof. C14 north vestry. Interior: Perpendicular 5 bay north and south arcades, octagonal columns on octagonal bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered arches. Fine C15 nave roof with arched braced principals on wall posts, elaborate wall plate and ridge collars with angels. C15 north aisle roof with moulded principals and wall posts on coved heads. South aisle roof has C15 principals only surviving. C15 pierced back poppyhead benches throughout. High Victorian font, and fine High Victorian 4 Evangelist pulpit, reading desk. South aisle has 3 continuously moulded arches to tower door. Fine c.1300 Early English sedilia and piscina with collonnettes, cusped arches, pierced spandrels. C14 in situ stained glass in east window. Chancel has C13 piers with stiff leaf capitals, 2-centred Decorated arch above. Door into chancel roof space. Large semi-octagonal internal rood stairs on north aisle side of chancel arch. Fine C14 rood screen panels repantiled 1865, rich tracery upper lights, central ogee arch. Chancel stucco High Victorian, perhaps 1878. 1878 roof. Matrix of bars to John de Gurney, legible inscription. Fine north side heavily recut cusped ogee arch door with open work spandrels, C15 battlemented crested top. C15 4-centred arch Easter Sepulchre. South side has mutilated Decorated sedilia with single battlemented capital and elaborately cusped arch extant. Decorated piscina with triangular headed arches, floriated spandrels, some diapering. See Mrs S.H. Jones "Notes on Harpley Church" in Norfolk Archaeology, VIII, 1879, pp. 17-38.

Listing NGR: TF7887126067


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Norfolk Archaeology' in Norfolk Archaeology, , Vol. 8, (1879), 17 38


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/04690/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].