CHURCH OF ST CECILIA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077671
Date first listed:
15-Aug-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CECILIA, LYNN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CECILIA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077671.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:45:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CECILIA, LYNN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
East Winch
National Grid Reference:
TF7166415280

Details

TF 71 NW 6/15

EAST WINCH WEST BILNEY Lynn Road Church of St. Cecilia

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Celilia)

15-8-60

II*

Redundant parish church; C14. Restored 1881. Flint and carstone, stone dressings, pantiles. West tower, nave; chancel lost. 3 stage west tower mainly of small flints and carstone, diagonal buttresses, limestone plinth; embattled parapet, part lost to north, having flint panels, gargoyles to west and east, coped asbestos roof behind parapet. 2-light Perpendicular west window with panel tracery; 2nd stage with small trefoil headed light, small lancets to north and south faces; 3rd stage with 2-light bell openings with eyelet under 4-centred arch. Tower clasped by nave at east angles. South nave, mainly carstone, some galleted carstone, some iron conglomerate, 2 buttresses; south doorway with continuous moulding; south door dated 1866. One opening with Y tracery under 4-centred arch and hoodmould. End 2.5 metres of dressed limestone and galleted carstone, set back c0.08m from facade from c.1.5m above ground and upwards; brick quoins to angle to left. East window as to south nave possibly reset, all window openings probably renewed. East gable set back c.0.08m above eaves level. North nave with 2 buttresses and 2 openings as to south, that to right with grotesque figure stops and carstone rubble infill to facade below; to east of left buttress a small C12 blocked semi-circular opening with decorative head. Memorial plaque to left of red stone with shield of arms (barry of 4, three estoiles in chief for Freke) limestone surround with skull and date 1706. North doorway as south, doorway blocked behind door. Interior: arched recesses to north and south, that to north wide, that to south with hollow chamfer; 2-tier renewed butt purlin roof with moulded pine principal rafters and purlins; queen posts, ties and collars. Moulded rear arches to north and south doorways; C14 octagonal font with deeply cut octofoils alternating with flowers to faces. Tower with C18 creed and commandment boards to north, Hanoverian Royal achievement from between 1801 and 1816 to south. Fittings of 1881.

Listing NGR: TF7166415280

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221947
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/02121/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].