CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1077736
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077736.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:40:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Emneth
National Grid Reference:
TF 48853 07383

Details

EMNETH CHURCH ROAD TF 40 NE (north side) 5/2 Church of St. Edmund 11.8.51 G.V. I Parish church, c.1210 chancel, C15 nave, aisles and west tower, restored 1866. Ashlar with some brick, rendered to aisles. Slate nave and chancel roofs, leaded aisles. 4 stage tower with angle buttresses. 4-centred west door within square surround. 4-light panel tracery west window and 3-light windows to north and south. 3-light louvred belfry windows with cusping below transoms. Brick crenellated parapet. Stairs in south-east angle. 2 storey south porch with polygonal stair turret to west. Diagonal buttresses flank arched entrance. Statuary niche in gable between 2 trefoiled lancet lights illuminating upper chamber. Trefoil lights to north and south. One ground floor paired trefoiled side light north and south. Porch floor removed and stairs blocked. North and south aisles embrace chancel. Set-off buttresses separate 3-light Perpendicular panel traceried windows under hood moulds. Arched priest's door in sixth bay of south aisle and 4-centred doorway in first bay of north aisle. Diagonal south-east buttress and angle north-east buttress. 6 3-light cusped 4-centred clerestory windows under hood moulds on labels. Renewed sanctus bellcote at nave east gable. C13 chancel clasping angle buttresses obscured by C15 aisle extensions. South aisle east window as nave. North aisle elaborated later C13 into 2 storey vestry. C13 east window blocked and now pierced by 3 C19 square-headed windows, 2 to ground, one to upper floors. Chancel with 3 stepped Early English lancets above string course. Lancets with continuous hood mould. Below string course are 2 pilaster strips themselves deflecting a double roll string course. Interior. 6 bay arcade of lozenge piers on high moulded plinths. Moulded capitals below wave moulded arches. Colonnettes rise from piers to corbels supporting roof. Clerestory windows over apexes. Tower arch has roll to responds and capitals with carved angels. Arch mouldings wave moulded. Chancel arch similar. Nave roof of moulded and crenellated tie beams on arched braces alternating with hammerbeams in form of angels bearing books and instruments of passion. Wall posts drop to corbels, the posts enriched by carvings of Angels, Kings and Prophets. Spandrels of tie beam braces with pierced tracery, the ties with 3 winged angels above crenellations. Queen and subsidiary posts rise from ties to single tier moulded butt purlins and principals. Moulded ridge piece. Aisle roofs of principals and 2 tiers moulded butt purlins, that of south aisle largely renewed. Rood stairs in polygonal turret with crenellated parapet. C15 rood screen of 2 bays right and left of cusped and sub-cusped opening. Arched dado panels retain traces of colour. C19 west canopy with tierceron vault. Top rail cresting C19. 25 C16 plain poppyhead nave benches. Octagonal C15 font with panelled stem and bowl decorated with tracery patterns, shields and figures bearing shields. 2 bay Early English chancel arcade : waterholding bases, drum piers, polygonal capitals and chamfered arches. Double roll hood mould with central carved dog's head to north and rosette to south. Plain arched sedilia and piscina. East window with internal annuleted shafts upon triangular bases. Single splayed lancet on north now opens into north chancel aisle. Standing momument in south chancel aisle to Thomas Hewar and wife by Nicholas Stone dated 1617. Marble. 3 columns with modified volute capitals stand on 3 bay pedestal and with rear pilasters support stone tester. Effigies of Thomas Hewar and wife in recumbent position before rectangular inscription panel. Upon tester are achievements to south and west. In east wall of aisle and within the monument a rectangular niche contains recumbent effigy of a child. On south wall of aisle wall monument to Thomas Hewar and wife 1585. Marble and stone. Plain plinth below apron of 2 panels separated by pilasters. 3 columns of indeterminate order support dentilated pediment with crowning achievement, the columns standing in front of 2 strapwork panels. Panels with coats of arms above inscriptions and decorated with painted fruit and strapwork scrolls.

Listing NGR: TF4885307383

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221792
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04958/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].