CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077816.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:03:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
- North Creake
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 85410 37729
TF 83 NE NORTH CREAKE CHURCH STREET (east)
5/38 Church of St. Mary. 5.6.53. I
Parish Church. C.1300 chancel, south porch and south door, C15 nave and north aisle west tower. Restored 1897. Knapped and rubble flint with stone dressings, lead roofs. West tower, nave and north aisle, south porch, chancel. Tower, perhaps 1503, ashlar plinth, knapped flint to west face only. 4 stages, with set-off buttresses with ashlar quoins to 4 angles. 4 panel C15 west door with tracery spandrels panels. Arch with traceried spandrels. Fine 4 light west window with tracery head and drip mould. 2-light square head Perpendicular window above. Bell chamber has 4 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows. Battlemented parapet with flushwork tracery and shields. Inscription reported on east side to Ralph Blondeville, 1503. 4 bay nave has 4 lower and 4 clere- storey 3-light Perpendicular tracery windows unusual 2 storey south elevation explained by addition of later C15 knapped flint clerestorey. 4 south buttresses with set-offs and ashlar facings, same details as those of tower, possibly 1503. Single C14 south porch with outer arch, north and south quatre- foils, richer entrance arch without bases or capitals. Nave north side has Perpendicular 2-light west window, 2 2-light straight headed north windows 3-light west window, perhaps C17. Perpendicular north door Decorated 4-bay chancel associated with date of 1301 recorded in no longer extant east window inscription to William Careltone : "construxit hunc cancellum Anno Domini MCCCI". Chancel south side has 2 central 2 light "Y" tracery windows with sub-cusped trefoiled lights and trefoil spandrel, 2 north and south Perpendicular 3-light tracery windows. South priest's door and 2 set-off buttresses. Roof heightened above line of c.1300 windows. East gable has 5 light window with 4 trefoils and central spandrel quatrefoil, tracery perhaps of 1897 restoration. Paired set-off angle buttresses. Chancel north side has one c.1300 central 2 light window with trefoil headed lights and trefoil spandrel. One large south 3-light window c.1300 with 2 canted and one upright trefoils in spandrel. C19 north vestry addition has reused C14 west window. Interior: Perpendicular tower arch and 4 bay north arcade with octagonal piers and with double hollow chamfered arches. Fine 5 bay Perpendicular single hammerbeam double frame nave roof. Semi-octagonal moulded wall posts on corbels with bases and capitals, arched wall plates, moulded brackets supporting hammerbeams with liturgically vested angels with instruments. Hammerbeams support pierced tracery spandrelbrackets above with moulded arched principals. Outstretched winged angels at junctions with moulded purlins and bosses at junction with ridge. At the wall plate a moulded coving section has lower brattishing, 2 out-stretched winged angels to each half bay, upper painted chevron moulding, traceried panel and crowning brattishing. Some colour surviving. Circular stone font bowl, perhaps C12, elaborate painted and carved font cover, 1897. Nave south east sepulchre and piscina. Nave and aisle outer walls have C18 panelling with cornice. North aisle has Perpendicular arch braced roof with central purlin and chamfered rafters. Royal Arms of Charles I over north aisle north door. Fine traceried 7-light north aisle screen, partly C15. North aisle altar 1978, incorporating 4 C14 painted panels of Fortitude, Temperance, Mercy and Justice. Chancel arch Decorated or Perpen- dicular. C15 rood stairs door at north-east in north aisle, and rood loft door against chancel arch. Elaborate c.1897 Decorated' detail oak carved rood screen, similar to altar and reredos by Hicks. Indistinct medieval Doom painting above chancel arch. 4 bay chancel has arched braced hammerbeam roof similar to nave, largely restored and repainted 1877. Fine but over-restored south side sedilia and piscina, mid-C14, with corbels and painted diapering. North side heavily restored c.1300 Easter Sepulchre. Cusped and sub-cusped arch, gable with open work tracery, crockets and finial, outer buttresses with finials. Chancel floor 1897. Brass: a civilian, holding a church as donor, possibly Sir William Calthorpe who claimed in his will (1495) to have rebuilt the church, giving a possible date for the clerestorey and roofs. Elaborate carved and painted altar and reredos, c.1897 by Hicks of Newcastle on Tyne. Church restored 1897 by Frederick Preedy architect, as bequest of Bishop Lloyd, Rector 1894-1903. See St. Mary the Virgin North Creake, (anon), (Fakenham) c.1980.
Listing NGR: TF8541037729
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
St Mary the Virgin North Creake, (1980)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing