Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077832.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:50:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 70815 09737



9/32 Church of Holy Trinity 8.7.59 _ I

Parish church. C12, and late C14, restored 1844, 1867 and 1875. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower, south aisle, continuous nave and chancel. Perpendicular 4 stage tower with angle buttresses. Arched west door below 5-light window of panel tracery with embattled transom. Quatrefoil ringing chamber windows under square hoods on label stops. 3-light belfry windows. South porch heavily restored. Stepped buttresses to south aisle between 3 2-light C19 segmental-headed Perpendicular windows. Lead roof to aisle. 3-light aisle east window. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. Side windows of 2-lights in Perpendicular style under 2-centred arches. 4-light east window late C14 and transitional Decorated to Perpendicular. Vestry to north chancel. 3 3-light nave north windows of Perpendicular form inserted 1867. Blocked north door early C12 : single order columns with cushion capitals below square imposts. Roll moulded arch in 2 orders enclosing tympanum of lozenge diaper. Interior. 4 bay south arcade of octagonal piers on high bell moulded bases and with moulded polygonal capitals, the 2 eastern capitals with blank merlons. Double chamfered arches, Perpendicular wave and roll moulded tower arch. Nave roof 1844 : arched braces drop to figurative corbels. 11 C15 benches with pierced tracery backs and poppyheads. Mid C14 octagonal font with tracery patterns on stem and bowl. South-east aisle chapel approached from chancel through 4-centred doorway and contains table tomb to John and Anne Steward 1604 of painted clunch : Rectangular tomb chest with clasping pilasters at corners and centre of long side, pilasters with painted tracery motifs, space between with painted coats of arms. Painted chalk effigies lie beneath plain canopy in form of unadorned entablature supported on 3 tapering octagonal columns with applied palmette leaves to lower half. Inscription in frieze of canopy. Canopy surmounted by painted achievement within elaborate strapwork frame. 1846 chancel roof supported on fine late C14 figure corbels. North chancel wall with white marble monument to Henry Villebois of 1847 by Richard Westmacott (the younger) : niche under stilted arch contains figures of 2 angels mourning over inscribed tomb chest upon which is an open bible and Latin cross. Royal arms of James I 1619 of painted wood under tower. Hexagonal floor tiles throughout church.

Listing NGR: TF7081509737


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01829/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Graham Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].