CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1077857
Date first listed:
09-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, RYSTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077857.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:59:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, RYSTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Ryston
National Grid Reference:
TF 62095 01756

Details

TF 60 SW RYSTON RYSTON ROAD

5/23 Church of St. Michael 9/7/51 - II*

Parish church. C12, C14, west tower 1858, restored 1901. Carstone and ashlar dressings and plain tiled roofs. Saddleback tower by W. Laurie 1858. 3 stages with clasping west buttresses to first stage only. Lancet lights to first 2 stages and Neo-Norman paired lights to belfry under semi-circular containing arch. Pair of roundels north and south. Flat buttresses to west nave walls. Tall gabled south porch with side buttresses. Arched door below cinquefoiled statuary niche with figure. Square side lights with timber tracery. Inner doorway C14, as is porch. South nave windows : one 2-light with route tournant and one square-headed 3-light with row of mouchettes in head, both C14. 2 restored 2-light square-headed south chancel windows flanking arched priest's door which interrupts string course. Low side window. Angle buttresses to east and 3-light flowing mid C14 east window of mouchette form with restored mullions. North chancel fenestration as south. 2 2-light square-headed north nave windows, one with trefoils in heads, the other with reticulation net. Arched north door. Interior. C12 4-centred tower arch on square imposts. Double chamfered chancel arch on demi-octagonal responds with moulded polygonal capitals and bases. Roofs 1901. Nave roof of principals, secondaries, collars and one tier butt purlins. Chancel roof as nave but with 2 tiers butt purlins, both with ashlaring. Angle piscina with cusped and traceried head beside bench sedilia. Many monuments to Pratt family in nave and chancel. Those in chancel include the following : Black marble floor slab to Sir Roger Pratt 1684, with raised and incised coat of arms; altar tomb to Lady Pratt 1706. Alabaster with semi-reclining effigy in contemporary dress upon tomb chest articulated with pilasters carved with fruit. Front inscription panel bordered by curtain swag. Gadrooned cornice. Nave monuments include: wall monument to Pleasance Pratt 1807, white marble on grey ground by John Bacon The Younger. Neo-classical arrangement of groups of figures around and below urn upon semi-circular head of inscription plate; Robert Pratt 1816, white marble wall monument on grey ground. Square inscription plate below draped canon and other military emblems with plaque inscribed ALGIERS, commemorating battle of Algiers.

Listing NGR: TF6209501756

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221469
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05895/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].