BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 113

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078026

Date first listed: 29-May-1986

Statutory Address: BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 113

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 113
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 17:25:23.

Location

Statutory Address: BRITISH RAIL MIDLAND REGION LONDON RUGBY LINE BRIDGE NUMBER 113

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Aldbury

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum (District Authority)

Parish: Tring

National Grid Reference: SP 94810 12617

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING BRITISH BAIL: SP 91 SW MIDLAND REGION LONDON-RUGBY LINE 4/48 Bridge No. 113 - GV II Accommodation bridge over railway at Tring Cutting. Circa 1837 by Robert Stephenson for the London and Birmingham Railway Company. Brown brick with stone impost bands, skewbacks, cornice, and parapet copings. A long narrow three-arched bridge joining land separated by the great Tring Cutting, 2½ miles long and here about 50ft deep. A higher 7-ring segmental arch in middle over trackbed with slender rectangular pier at foot of earth slope on each side, and tall opening through each pier with round-arched head and bottom. Slightly lower segmental 7-ring side arches to abutments buried in earth slope. Wide unmoulded stone cornice at roadway level with brick parapets, rectangular terminal piers and weathered stone copings. The cutting was made necessary by Stephenson's decision to have a maximum gradient of 1/330 on the line, and there is a well known lithograph by J.C. Bourne showing an army of navvies excavating it. The line was opened 9 April 1838. The south side of the bridge is in Aldbury parish. (Leleux(1976)13-15).

Listing NGR: SP9481012617

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355685

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing