ST MUNGO'S HOUSING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1078296

Date first listed: 15-Jan-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1999

Statutory Address: ST MUNGO'S HOUSING, 83, ENDELL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MUNGO'S HOUSING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:00:19.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MUNGO'S HOUSING, 83, ENDELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30102 81284

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ3081SW 798-1/105/388

CAMDEN ENDELL STREET (South West side) No.83 St Mungo's Housing (Formerly Listed as: ST GILES HIGH STREET St Giles in the Fields Church of England Primary School)

15/01/73 GV II School now a hostel for the homeless. 1860. By E.M Barry. Polychrome brick with some terracotta and stone dressings under a slate roof in tough Gothic revival style. Rectangular plan on the corner of Endell Street and High Holborn. EXTERIOR: entrance front on Endell Street, Four storeys, basement and dormers, five windows (seven windows on return to High Holborn). Ground floor yellow stock brick with red brick bands with paired, pointed-arch windows and centrally placed doorway with fanlight and stone either side of round arch inscribed NATIONAL SCHOOLS. String course at first floor level on which recessed square headed windows with brick mullions under a continuous band of decorative blue and red tiles. Second floor to left, a pair of pointed arch, decorative terracotta tiled windows with a marble colonnette. To the right, three identical pointed arch windows under an asymmetrically placed gable containing two lancet windows with marble colonnette and oculus above under a pointed terracotta arch. Trefoil window in pointed arch in the apex. To either side, rising through the gable, vertical brick features. The third floor comprises a continuous mostly blind arcade of pointed arches to eaves level. High Holborn return has similar fenestration and dressings with two large dormers and scattered small ones. INTERIOR: altered but retains some original features. HISTORICAL NOTE: built as parish schools for 1500 children, together with an industrial school and soup kitchen for the poor of the Drury Lane slums.

Listing NGR: TQ3010281284

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 477189

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing