This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CAMPDEN HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CAMPDEN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1078464

Location

CAMPDEN HOUSE, COMBE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chipping Campden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126127

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5224 COMBE

Campden House SP 13 NW 3/77 25.9.6O II* GV

2. Large complex house, principally 1628, 1846 and 1930s. The mediaeval grange of Bordesley Abbey at Combe may have been on this site. The 1628 mansion (date below windows to right of entrance) was remodelled 1846 for Lord Gainsborough by R C Carpenter (when a chapel, attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin and now demolished, was added to north). The additions were in Victorian Gothic. These were pruned after 1934 when the present south front re-established, and the north wing added and the interior drastically remodelled by Norman Jewson. Traditional gabled Cotswold mansion built in coursed and dressed rubble and roofed in Cotswold stone. Two and 2½ storeys on a terrace, mullion and transomed windows, pinnacles to gables and diagonal chimneys. 2: 1-2 gables to west front and 4 gabled return to south. Central 4-bay section has gabled porch and 2 storey angled bay. Large 2 storey angled bay in left hand gable of south return. The north side is more obviously C17 and has a cross-gabled 3½ storey stair-turret to north-east, adjacent to a projecting wing with full-height end bay. Interior: Jewson changed the ground levels. Good quality C16 and C17 fireplaces and panelling inserted. C17 stairs in rear stair-turret. Ribbed plaster ceilings of 1846, covered in dining room.

Listing NGR: SP1332237739

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 13322 37739

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 06:58:05.

End of official listing