This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1078956



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jul-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 44 79 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18 (North side)

786/9/49 Royal Arsenal Brass Foundry, Royal Foundry 08/06/73

- I

Brass cannon foundry, now book store. 1716-17, possibly by Sir John Vanbrugh, for the Board of Ordnance; extended and altered 1771-1774 by Jan Verbruggen, Master Founder, extensively repaired 1970s, book store since then. Dark red brick with red rubbed brick and stone dressings and slate, originally tile, hipped roofs. PLAN: Symmetrical plan of a central founding range with lower side aisles, and N entrance tower with flanking blocks. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 3-bay central tower with flanking single-storey; 2-bay range wings. Central tower has clasping pilasters on stone plinths, a fine entrance with pilasters of alternate rubbed brick and stone to a cornice set forward over the jambs, rusticated voussoirs to a round-arched doorway with the Duke of Marlborough's Arms to the key, radial fanlight and double doors with 10 raised panels; rubbed brick round arches with keys and imposts to C19 casements each side, segmental-arched blind panels above, and round-arched first-floor windows, flanking a wide 3-centre arched panel above the doorway with a fine coat of arms of George I. 3-bay sides with round-arched first-floor windows. Pyramidal roof with 2 pedimented dormers to the front, and a round lead-clad cupola, added 1722, with architraves to small-paned windows, angle buttresses and a dome with a finial. Single-storey side 'aisles' have round-arched windows linked by impost band and 3-centre-arched doorway, originally a central porch; the rear section is a 2-storey, 3-window former furnace block possibly raised 1770s, with contrasting paler brick clasping pilasters and window surrounds, round-arched ground-floor and segmental-arched first-floor windows. W side has a matching 2-storey rear block, but rebuilt c1878 to the N as a single-storey block with blind windows. S end has a 2-storey block with chamfered corners and parapet, possibly of 1803. Founding range has continuous clerestory windows beneath the eaves and louvred ridge vents. INTERIOR: an entrance hall with cast-iron plates to the inner wall, the top one inscribed TRANSFERRED TO ROYAL LABORATORY 1878, and a round-arched one over the doorway inscribed 177?/ VERBRUGGEN/J KING/H KING/1771 SCHALCH/KING/NORTH/ECCLES/1855; a C19 iron winder stair leads up to the tower, which has a heavy timber roof, and the flanking ground-floor bays have round arches to the S walls with imposts. The central founding range behind has a 9-bay king post roof with butt purlins, ridge vents, the 2 N trusses closed off, with mid-late C19 metal-trussed roof to the S end, and blind round arches to the sides. The E aisle has a steep roof with collar trusses with tie beams, butt purlins and a ridge board, with a cast-iron beam bolted to the W wall plate. HISTORY: Part of the initial expansion of the Arsenal after the Board of Ordnance set up its own foundry at Woolwich, with Dial Square and the Board Room (qqv). The foundry was built to cast brass cannon, and laid out on an axis facing the river. The furnaces were in the 2-storey ranges at the rear, with casting pits between and a gallery and windlass above, model and pattern-making to the north, with a large balance inside the main entrance, and had open arcades along the sides of the founding range, now blocked; the heavy roof, much of it original, was used for lifting, and there may have been a vertical cannon-boring machine in the tower. Verbruggen altered and extended it 1771-74 to accommodate a third foundry, although at this time advances in casting and boring iron were making brass cannon obsolete. In 1827 and 42, steam boring equipment replaced horse-powered mills of 1773/76. Of considerable historic significance as a rare, early and little-altered example of a purpose-built foundry and workshop, reworked at the start of the industrial revolution. (de Beer, Professor C, The Art of Gunfounding, Rotherfield, 1991; Pevsner N and Cherry B, The Buildings of England: London South, London, 1983, p.287; Hogg O F G, The Royal Arsenal, Oxford, 1963, pp.430, 626; RCHME report, 1994)

Listing NGR: TQ4373779063

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, C, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 287
De Beer, C, The Art of Gunfounding, (1991)
Hogg, O F G, The Royal Arsenal, (1963), 430
'Historic Buildings Report' in The Royal Arsenal Woolwich, (1994)

National Grid Reference: TQ 43737 79063


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078956 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 01:54:35.

End of official listing