TRINITY HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1078961

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jun-1973

Statutory Address: TRINITY HOSPITAL, HIGH BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINITY HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 10:36:22.

Location

Statutory Address: TRINITY HOSPITAL, HIGH BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 38829 78150

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 4412 HIGH BRIDGE SE10

Trinity Hospital (formerly listed in Old Woolwich Road) TQ 38-8 15/G95 19.10.51.

II* GV

2. Built in 1613-17, altered and partly rebuilt. Multicoloured stock brick with stuccoed front of early C19 appearance. Small scale, Gothic style. Front of 2 storeys, 7 windows. High pitched roof of large slates. Tall, stuccoed chimney stacks. Battlemented parapet. Ends cross-gabled, with crow steps, and a pinnacle at either side of gables. 3-light casement windows, with Gothic bars under square hoodmoulds (except in side bays where 1st floor windows have high, pointed hoodmoulds with stucco interlacing tracery between). Central tower has arched entrance on ground floor, window on 1st floor with blank arcading above. At roof level achievement of arms with Latin inscriptions above and below. Clock above this. Battlemented parapet; and small spire or spike above, with louvred bell openings, flagstaff and vane. Inside courtyard of 5 bays each side, arcaded on ground floor with 4-centred arches. Similar arches to doors. 1st floor casement windows with glazing bars. At either side, behind front range roof, a stepped gable end, that on west side holding a Venetian window. Rear elevation of 2 storeys, 7 windows, multicoloured stock brick. 3-light casement windows with stone frames and mullions. 1st floor band. In South range 3-bay Chapel has 1812 Gothic decoration with rib-patterning to segmental vaulted roof. Hoodmoulds to pointed windows with interlacing bars. 4-centred arch to East (ritual) window with Flemish, early C16 stained glass, with decorative panels above and below, and The Crucifixion, The Agony in the Garden and the Ascension between. Monument to the founder, the Earl of Northampton, by Nicholas Stone.

Trinity Hospital, its Lodges and Front Wall form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ3882978150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 200404

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing