ENDERBY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1079026

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Statutory Address: ENDERBY HOUSE, TELEGRAPH AVENUE, SE10

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENDERBY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 08:23:23.

Location

Statutory Address: ENDERBY HOUSE, TELEGRAPH AVENUE, SE10

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 39141 78761

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/11/2016

TQ 3978, 16/778

TELEGRAPH AVENUE SE 10, Enderby House

(Formerly listed as: CHRISTCHURCH WAY SE10 Enderby House)

II

Early-mid C19 building of 2 storeys 2 windows and with wide projecting bay placed diagonally across left corner, Modern rendering with incised lines. Stone cornice and blocking course. Sash windows, some with vertical bars. Nondescript external appearance but contains a handsome octagonal first floor room (giving onto the diagonal bay, from whence the ship owner saw his vessels approach). At angles narrow columns, with leafy capitals, support enriched entablature. Above this a domed roof light with cast iron tracery. Oval landing outside has doors curved to wall shape.

Enderby House belonged to the firm of Samuel Enderby, the largest whalers and sealers in Britain, and pioneers of Antarctic exploration. Hermann Melville describes their flagship and crew in "Moby Dick". The decline of British whaling led to the Enderbys ceasing to have an interest in Enderby’s Wharf in 1854.  It was then taken on by Glass, Elliott and Company, a contractor for the first transatlantic telegraph cable (lost while being laid in 1857) then the second in 1858 which operated for a few weeks.  The business was reconstituted in 1864 as the Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Company, who manufactured cable at Enderby’s Wharf to an improved design for another attempt in 1865, and a fourth in 1866, both times with the Great Eastern as the cable-laying ship, and by the end of 1866 had achieved the first successfully working transatlantic telecommunications cable connection. 

The building is listed partly for its important associations with the history of industry and technology, especially the laying of the first transatlantic cable.

Listing NGR: TQ3914178761

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 200260

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing