BANK OF ENGLAND

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1079134
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1950
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, BARTHOLOMEW LANE EC2
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, LOTHBURY EC2
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, PRINCE'S STREET EC2
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, THREADNEEDLE STREET EC2

Map

Ordnance survey map of BANK OF ENGLAND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 02:10:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, BARTHOLOMEW LANE EC2
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, LOTHBURY EC2
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, PRINCE'S STREET EC2
Statutory Address:
BANK OF ENGLAND, THREADNEEDLE STREET EC2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32730 81211

Details

THREADNEEDLE STREET EC2 1. 5002 (North Side) Bank of England TQ 3281 SW 10/290 4.1.50.

I GV

2. Largely rebuilt by Sir Herbert Baker in 1921 to 37. Listed for greatly altered screen-wall by Sir John Soane, late C18 to early C19 and for various elements of old building, by Soane and by Sir Robert Taylor (2nd half C18) which were reconstituted in something like their original form within the new structure. Screen wall of channelled Portland stone with order of Corinthian columns and pilasters, variously applied, and crowning balustrade. 8 columned portico to main entrance in Threadneedle Street with round-arched openings. Similar colonnade, in antis, to Bartholomew Lane. Elaborated, rounded corners, especially the north west which now has footway cut through it. Modern statue of Soane facing Lothbury. Within gateway from Lothbury is reconstruction, in altered form of Soanes's Lothbury Courtyard (1798 to 99) with Corinthian colonnades, sculpture etc, now marred by temporary glass roof. Most important reconstructed interior is Taylor's Court Room with arcade at either end screening vaulted lobby. Splendid plaster decoration (altered by Baker) and 3 chimney pieces of Sienna and white marble. Clock with elaborate frame of gilt bronze. Octagonal Committee Room adjoining retains original ceiling design, marble chimney piece and 4 built in bookcases. Other interiors copied to some extent in new work include former Consols Office, Colonial Office, Dividend Office, Prince's Street Vestibule, lobby to Rotunda (all by Soane) and semi-dome to Bartholomew Lane vestibule by Taylor. Amongst fixtures should be mentioned marble statue of William III by Cheere in Prince's Street entrance hall and 2 patterned Roman (C2 or C3) mosaic pavements at foot of principal staircase and in what is now the museum.

Listing NGR: TQ3273081211

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199776
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02649/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Manekshaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].