This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GRANGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GRANGE

List entry Number: 1079314

Location

THE GRANGE, CANON'S HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Croydon

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 201170

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1005/8/6 CANON'S HILL TQ31295823 Coulsdon 15-FEB-1983 The Grange

GV II

House, used as control centre for Kenley airfield during Second World War. Central part C16 with early C18 additions to front and rear, the front range remodelled in early C19. Much C20 refenestration. Rendered over brickwork to front, timber framing to central part and brick and stone rubble to rear. Slate roof with five rendered chimneystacks. Two storeys attics and basement with mainly irregular fenestration. Diffuse plan with two ranges to the front and an L-wing to rear. EXTERIOR: Front or west elevation of two storeys was remodelled in the early C 19 with stucco with incised lines to imitate masonry and is of two storeys three windows. First floor has central casement flanked by tripartite casements. Ground floor has large segmental bays with central French windows flanked by wide gable to front, smaller gable to centre and section with hipped roof to rear. Irregular fenestration including two 12-pane sashes, two 16-pane sashes and later casements. French window to front range. East elevation has C18 doorcase with flat hood on console brackets and six-panelled door and mixture of sashes and casements. South elevation has a mixture of C20 casements and sashes and French window to front range. Return of rear range has external chimneystack. INTERIOR: Central part incorporates two bays of a C16 timberframed house with first floorwall with curved brace and mullioned window visible and blocked window on the other side. Front range is C18 and retains a cambered fireplace with keystone to the front left room and internal partitions of brick and thin timberframing. Otherwise this range was refurbished in the early C19 with hall with wooden panels, moulded architraves with six-panelled doors, large alcove and two round-headed niches to front left room, stick staircase with mahogany handrail, large column to first floor corridor and bedroom with marble fireplace with paterae and pilasters. Attics were boarded over in C20 but lath and plaster is visible. The rear range has a large room with two chamfered beams and open fireplace with shelf and a six-panelled door leading to staircase, straight flight to first floor and half-winder to attic. HISTORY: In the Middle Ages a monastic grange located to the rear of the present property was occupied by the Abbot's bailiff. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries the property passed to Sir Nicholas Carewe. The rear part of the present building was thought to have been added in 1625 and the front added c1720. In 1850 it was renamed The Grange. Finally in 1940 the building became the control centre for Kenley Airport and played an important role for front line operations in Northern Europe during the Battle of Britain. A first floor ceiling was removed to produce a perimeter gallery where the Controller and his staff could see the map of S E England on the Operations table below. An advance in radio communications was carried out here at the end of 1940 with a Very High Frequency System which improved reception. Famous people who visited at this time include Winston Churchill, the Australian statesman Robert Menzies, Lord Nuffield and King George VI.



Listing NGR: TQ3129958241

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31299 58241

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1079314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 04:37:15.

End of official listing