Roman Catholic Church of St Raphael

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1080045
Date first listed:
24-Dec-1968
Statutory Address:
Roman Catholic Church of St Raphael, Portsmouth Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2NA

Map

Ordnance survey map of Roman Catholic Church of St Raphael
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2019 at 22:08:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Roman Catholic Church of St Raphael, Portsmouth Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2NA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 17823 68365

Details

TQ 1768 SE 8B/8

KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES PORTSMOUTH ROAD Roman Catholic Church of St Raphael

(Formerly listed as Church of St Raphael)

24.12.68

II* 1847-48 by Charles Parker. Patron Alexander Raphael, MP for St Albans. Ashlar, with pantiled roof. Three bay nave with aisles and lower, shorter chancel. Central western tower of three stages, with tripled round arches and strong bracketed eaves to pyramidal roof. Two light round headed aisle windows with Corinthian column between lights, oculus over, and round enclosing arch. Triple round arched and shafted windows to clerestory. Round headed entrance below tower. Flanking church to north and south are two wings, each three bays wide, two storeys high, of brick with stone dressings and pantile roofs. Centre bay to each is taller than flanks. Two light round headed windows to central bay of each with square headed two light window above, divided by Doric columns. Outer ground floor windows also round headed. Arched doorways with shouldered arches beneath in bays adjacent to church. Low pitched hipped roofs to eaves.

Listing NGR: TQ1782368365

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203168
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].