KINGSTON SORTING OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1080059
Date first listed:
26-Feb-1992
Statutory Address:
KINGSTON SORTING OFFICE, ASHDOWN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KINGSTON SORTING OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080059.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 08:27:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
KINGSTON SORTING OFFICE, ASHDOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Kingston upon Thames (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 18177 69087

Details

TQ 1869 SW KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES ASHDOWN ROAD

59-0/ 7a/10000 Kingston Sorting Office

II

Purpose built telephone exchange. Erected 1907 and opened in June 1908. Architect John Rutherford, an architect working in the Ministry of Works. Arts and Crafts style, asymmetrical plan. Built of red brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings and slate roof. Entrance front of butterfly plan has central clustered brick and stone chimneystack and end gables with stone coping and kneelers on pilasters. Attics have tripartite slit windows. Right hand gable has 2 storey canted bay with pilasters separating bays, with curved iron casements to 1st floor and mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor. 2 storey projection in angle of the L has 2 casements with stone surrounds and left side round headed doorcase with hood moulding on brackets, tripartite fanlight and double doors. To left are 2 curved casements to the 1st floor and mullioned and transomed casements to the ground floor. Attached by brick wall is low stone wall with iron spear railings whose principals embody elaborate insignia of Edward VII and cast iron lamp. Left side elevation has half hipped roof with continous 12 light dormer. 5 round headed casements to 1st floor and left side doorcase approached up a flight of steps with iron handrail. Tripartite casements to ground floor. Right side elevation is blank but with large canopy to far end. Internally there is a mosaic-tiled entrance hall, clerk's office to the left, manager's office to the right with engineers just beyond that. There is a large open plan "test room" with a small "battery room" at the far end. On the 1st floor the cloakrooms, kitchen and dining room correspond to the offices below with a large "switch" room corresponding to the "test room". The floor is supported on simple Doric cast iron columns. The roof is of simple steel truss construction. Solid wood block doors throughout and some white glazed tiles.

Listing NGR: TQ1817769087

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203210
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15129/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Maddy Cannon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].