CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1080532

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, BRIXTON HILL SW2

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080532 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:13:48.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, BRIXTON HILL SW2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30988 75093

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIXTON HILL SW2 1. (east side) 5023 Church of St Matthew TQ 3075 17/47 TQ 3175 18/47 19.10.51

II*

2. 1822-4 by C F Porden. Greek revival preaching box with east tower. Pale yellowish brick with dressings of stone and Roman cement. West portico tetrastyle in antis with fluted Doric columns. Three tall battered doors, with enriched panels, in eared moulded architraves. Cast iron boot-scrapers by doors. Five-bay sides with pilasters of Roman cement and entablature. Battered windows with eared architraves. Stone plinth. On each side, stairs with side walls down to crypt entrance, a pedimented doorway enclosed by strong, double wrought iron gates. Stone-faced east end with wide projecting central tower bay with window. Doors in recessed side bays. Above the entablature, tower has square bell stage with Doric screens below on octagonal "Tower of the Winds" whose low conical top has crown and cross. Inside, a wide gallery around 3 sides has Doric organ case at west. Tall screen of 2 Doric columns before east window. Original pewing. Some pleasing memorial tablets.

Listing NGR: TQ3098875093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 204008

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing