CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081397.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:12:49.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 67515 68990
LINDRIDGE CP LINDRIDGE
SO 66 NE
5/132 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. 1861 by T Nicholson of Hereford on old site. Coursed dressed sandstone rubble, partly snecked, with ashlar dressings; plain tiled roofs with parapets and cross-finials at gable ends. South-west tower, three-bay nave with south aisle, two-bay chancel with north vestry. Decorated style. South-west tower: three stages with three strings and chamfered plinth which continues around building; gabled angled buttresses with offsets; lowest stage has a south doorway with hood mould and head stops, two pairs of nookshafts with moulded capitals and bases and above the doorway the lower string in stepped; similar door to nave but without nookshafts; 2-light west window; second stage has a cusped lancet and ogee hood mould with finial and foliated stops above south doorway; belfry stage has large 2-light louvred bell-chamber openings with-hood moulds and head stops; second string forms sill string to openings; parapet above third string; ashlar broach spire with lucarnes; a lean-to addition on the east side houses the tower stairs approached through an interior door. Nave: buttresses with offsets at bay divisions, angled at west end; 4-light west window with hood mould and head stops; quatrefoil opening in gable apex; north elevation has three 2-light windows. South aisle has two cross- gables interrupting lean-to roof and parapet; two 3-light windows; rose window at east end. Chancel: diagonal buttresses with offsets at east end; 5-light east window; one 2-light north-east window and two 2-light south windows all with hood moulds and head stops; narrow doorway between south windows. Vestry: gabled and projects to north-west with eastern lean-to; 3-light window with 4-centred head in north gable end and cusped lancet with ogee head in west end of lean-to; narrow doorway in east elevation and also steps lead down to a basement door. Interior: pointed chancel arch on colonnettes with large foliated capitals and situated on head corbels; two- bay aisle has central circular pier with foliated capital and moulded base. Wagon roofs throughout. Walls are faced with ashlar. Fittings are mainly mid-C19 with some mid-C20 replacements. Octagonal stone font with panelled stem and cusped ogee-arched frieze around basin; hexagonal panelled pulpit; C17 altar table now kept in vestry. Memorials: south aisle has four brass tablets of early and mid-C17 date mainly to Pennell family; also a late C18 wall memorial to Margaret Nott, surmounted by a coat of arms, and an early and mid-C19 memorial both to the Adams family; on west wall of nave are a mid-C18 and two late C18 memorials and on the north wall is a large memorial to Arthur Onslow died 1817; this is in the form of an obelisk with a draped sarcophagus relief above which is a cloud with an angel or putto against a sunburst. The first medieval church on the site was dedicated to All Saints and was destroyed by fire in the late C17. The second church was dedicated to St Lawrence and was destroyed partly by neglect and partly as a result of subsidence. (VCH 3 (ii), p 446-7; BoE, p 213).
Listing NGR: SO6751568990
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 213
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing