CHURCH OF ST BARBARA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1081663

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARBARA, BECKFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARBARA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 05:30:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARBARA, BECKFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon (District Authority)

Parish: Ashton under Hill

National Grid Reference: SO 99671 37712

Details

ASHTON UNDER HILL CP BECKFORD ROAD (west side) SO 9837 - 9937 11/3 22/1 Church of St Barbara 30-7-59 - II*

Parish church. C12 origins, altered and extended C13, C14 and c1500, chancel rebuilt 1624 for Sir John Franklin; restored in 1868 and 1913. Part limestone ashlar, part limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; nave has stone tiled roof, chancel and north aisle have slate roofs behind embattled parapets. West tower, four-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, two-bay chancel. West tower: C13 lower stage and c1500 upper stage with strings and short buttresses with offsets at west corners and centre of west elevation. There is a loophole in the south and west elevations of the lower stage, a narrow pointed north doorway and a pointed and chamfered south doorway which has a hood mould with returns and C19 door. The belfry stage has 2-light louvred bell-chamber openings with 4-centred heads and above is an embattled parapet with corner gargoyles and pinnacles, (the latter probably added in 1624). Nave: north aisle added in C14 and has a lean-to catslide roof, a chamfered plinth and buttresses with off- sets at bay divisions; at the north-east corner is a large raking buttress, dated 1820. There are three 2-light windows, one having a square head and another a hoodmould with returns, and also a 3-light window with a 4-centred head and hood- mould with returns in the easternmost bay. At the east end is a 2-light window with a square head. The south elevation of the nave retains some of its C12 masonry and has a C13 cusped lancet in the western end, an early C19 copy of this window in the eastern end, a 2-light C14 window and a large c1500 window of four lights with a 4-centred head. The south porch is C14, has a chamfered eaves cornice and end buttresses terminating in pinnacles of probably c1624 date. At the apex of the gable end parapet is a gabled finial supporting a sundial. There is a pointed archway of a single chamfered order and above it is a partly blocked 2-light window and also a loophole in the gable apex. There are similar 2-light windows in the side elevations and within there are stone benches and the remains of a stoup in the east wall. The south doorway is C12 and has ballflower mouldings on the outer order of the arch. It has single shafts with trumpet-scalloped capitals and a plain recessed tympanum. Chancel was rebuilt in 1624. It has a chamfered plinth and the window and door openings all have hoodmoulds with returns. The 3-light east window has a round head and has relief carvings of the dolphins from the Franklin coat of arms in the spandrels and lions' heads on the hoodmould. There is a 2-light north window and two ogee-arched south windows which probably incorporate some C14 tracery. The priest's door has an unusual leaf moulding over the arch and above it is a datestone inscribed "ANNO DOMINI 1624". Interior: the four-bay north arcade is in C15 style with 4-centred arches and octagonal columns but may be part of the 1624 rebuilding. The 1624 chancel arch is similar in style and detail. The nave has a C19 king-post roof and the chancel has a barrel roof. There is a C17 altar table and a C15 octagonal font with fleurons in quatre- foils decorating the basin and cusped pointed panels on the stem. The pulpit and other fittings are C19. Memorials: these are mainly to members of the Baldwyn family; in the chancel is the remains of a 1652 memorial and there is also a mid-C19 sarcophagus relief with draped urn. In the nave and aisle is an early C19 and three mid-C19 memorials to the Baldwyn family and a pedimeted early C19 memorial to the Martin family. The Baldwyn family are also commemorated by numerous mid- and late C18 ledger slabs in the nave. Glass: there are some fragments of medieval glass in a south nave window. The chancel windows have C19 glass. The church was known as the Church of St Andrew until c1750. It retains a substantial part of its medieval masonry; its Norman south doorway, the simple but unusual detailing of its C17 chancel and its ornate C15 font are of particular note. (VCH, Glos, Vol viii, p 249; BoE, p 71 - 2).

Listing NGR: SO9967137712

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 148455

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1969), 249
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 71-2

End of official listing