CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1081874
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081874.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:30:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishopstone
National Grid Reference:
SO 41590 43897

Details

BISHOPSTONE CP - SO 44 SW 5/1 Church of St Laurence 2.9.66 II* Parish church. C12, extended late C13, partly rebuilt C14 and restored 1842, 1854 and 1925-6. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and a graduated stone tile roof. C12 nave and C13 chancel, C13 transepts, south porch and north vestry. Nave of three bays to south wall, south door to left has a segmental arch of C19, with a C14 timber-frame porch with open sides, arch braces to tie-beam at front, cusped wind-braces and trusses. Two windows to east are lancets, eastern one of C13, the other C19. Between porch and central window a blocked C12 window with semi-circular head. West wall re- built C14 with diagonal buttresses. Bellcote of 1854 with two bell openings over a niche containing a small statue. Below this a circular trefoiled window, the main window is C14 of two ogee trefoiled lights with a trefoil in the head under a two-centred arch. This is flanked by two small windows with segmental heads. North wall has a C19 vestry to west end, and to the west two lancets, that to east of C13, the other C19. The transepts each have a window of three lights, the outer two lights pointed, the central light triangular-headed, all under a two-centred head. The C13 chancel has one C14 window in the south wall of two trefoiled lights with pierced spandrel under a two-centred head, and in the north wall a C14 window of two ogee trefoil lights. The east window is C13 with three pointed lights under a two-centred head. Interior: the arches to the transepts are C13, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner order springing from moulded capitals and attached shafts. C14 north door of nave (leading to C19 vestry) has chamfered jambs and a segmental pointed head. A cinquefoil headed piscina in south wall of south transept and south wall of chancel. Roof of south transept is ceiled with exposed ashlar pieces below a brattished cornice. Nave roof has a ribbed barrel vault of timber with foliate bosses and brattished wall-plate. Chancel roof of three bays is C17, restored 1842, has pendant king-posts, into which the two halves of the tie-beam are morticed. The western truss has a winged cherub's head at the intersection. All have wall posts rising from grotesque corbels. Fittings: the south transept has early C19 box pews incorporating C17 panelling including a carved panel bearing two monsters. A similar panel is incorporated in the mid-C19 pews of the north transept. The hexagonal pulpit is made up from C17 woodwork, three panels in height, with carved frieze panels, the framing also partially enriched. Reredos in chancel incorporates a later C16/early C17 overmantel with three male figures supporting a moulded cornice and framing two panels bearing early C18 carved flowers and cherubs around the initials IHS and alpha and omega. South window of chancel contains six figurative panels of Flemish glass, C16 and C17. In north transept an altar tomb bearing recumbent stone effigies of John Berinton (died 1614) and his wife Joyce. (RCHM, Vol 3, pp 17-18; BoE, pp 75-6).

Listing NGR: SO4159043897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149959
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 17-18
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 75-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13235/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].