Church of St Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1081970
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Birley

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1081970.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:15:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, Birley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Birley with Upper Hill
National Grid Reference:
SO 45356 53354

Details

SO 45 SE 8/1

BIRLEY Church of St Peter

02.09.66

I Parish church. C13, extended C14, restored 1873-1874. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings under a tile roof. Pyramidal roof of tower is shingled. West tower, nave, south chapel, chancel and north vestry.

The west tower, of the early C13, is of four stages, the belfry stage is timber-framed and shingled, probably C17, with vertically slatted openings. It has a battered plinth capped by a roll moulding and clasping corner buttresses. The ground stage has a single-light semicircular-headed light in each wall, the first stage a pointed lancet in each wall, and similar windows to the second stage. The nave is early C14, of three bays on the north wall. A central lancet is flanked by two windows, both of two pointed lights under a two-centred head. South wall has two lancets flanking the C19 south porch. The south door is probably C12, with a simple semicircular arch, chamfered label and chamfered jambs. The late C14 south chapel projects at the east end of the nave and has a four-light window in each wall, the lights have ogee trefoiled heads, with cusped spandrels and square heads to each window. The gable has an exposed timber truss with a cambered tie beam and a central strut to the collar. The chancel is also C14, of two bays with C19 lancets in the south wall with priest's door between. The north vestry is late C19. The east window is of three stepped pointed lights below a rose window of the C19.

INTERIOR: the C17 tower arch is segmental-pointed of two chamfered orders, the responds each have an attached filleted shaft with a simple foliate capital. The arch to the south chapel is late C14 and is two-centred of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous, the inner with moulded imposts and chamfered bases. In the east respond there is a squint (now blocked). The chancel arch is early C14 and is two-centred of two moulded orders with a moulded label. The outer order has ballflower ornament. The moulded responds each have three engaged shafts, the north respond having a moulded and enriched capital, the south respond capitals with dogs' heads and a fleur-de-lys. Piscina in south wall of chancel has a C14 cinquefoiled head and projecting quatrefoil drain. Piscina in south wall of nave, also C14, with ogee head and a square-headed piscina in south wall of the south chapel. Roofs of nave and chancel are C19 common rafter type, with straight braces to the collars. South chapel roof is C14 of three bays with arch-braced collar trusses and two tiers of purlins with cusped wind braces.

The font under the tower is C12 and has a round bowl with a three-strand interlaced band, a short arcaded stem on a diapered plinth. The pulpit in the north-east corner of the nave is of semi-octagonal plan with two tiers of panels, the lower tier with incised rosettes, the upper arcaded. A small shield bears the date 1633. In south chapel two wall monuments with broken pediments and urns to Mathew Croose (died 1798) and Thomas Croose (died 1776).

Listing NGR: SO4535753355

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149783
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 15-16
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 74

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11198/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer McKirdy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].