CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082110.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:55:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Malvern Hills (District Authority)
- Stockton on Teme
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 71614 67339
STOCKTON ON TEME CP STOCKTON ON TEME
SO 76 NW
6/204 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Mid-C12, altered C14 and early C18; restored 1845-6 and 1898. Part sandstone rubble, part rendered brick with ashlar dressings; plain tiled roofs with parapets and cross-finials at gable ends; weather- boarded timber bell-turret with slate roof. Two-bay nave with south porch and bell-turret at west end; single-bay chancel. Mainly Norman and Perpendicular styles. Nave: C12; north elevation partly rebuilt 1845-6; C14 diagonal buttresses with offsets at west end; also C14 buttress to north elevation partly enclosed by C19 brick lean-to; C19 buttress with offsets to south elevation with two tomb slabs of probable C12 date attached to east side. Two-light C14 pointed west window; north and south elevations have square-headed 2-light windows, two in north elevation are C19 replace- ments and one in south elevation is a restored C14 window. South porch: 014; gabled and timber-framed on a C19 brick base; scalloped bargeboards and arch-braced inner and outer collar and tie-beam trusses forming pointed archways; sides have five boarded lower panels and 5-light wood mullioned openings above; long swept braces across inner corners; inside roof has cusped swept wind-braces and there are several slip-decorated tiles of c1450 now fixed beneath the benches. South doorway is C12 but much restored; round arch of two orders, the outer has large roll moulding supported by shafts with cushion capitals, chamfered abaci and moulded bases; the inner is enriched with star-shaped mouldings; above the head is a C12 stone panel which had a relief of a winged figure and a tree, now barely distinguishable. Bell-turret is square and the weatherboarding is continued down to cover the west gable end of the nave; paired rectangular louvred bell-chamber openings; pyramidal slate roof and weathervane. Chancel: rebuilt C14 and again in C18; east window of three pointed lights with rear arches springing from detached shafts; lancet in north and south elevations and pointed south doorway. Interior: C12 chancel arch similar to south doorway and has a chamfered string course from the abaci to the side walls. Above the arch are two C12 panels representing the Agnus Dei and probably a lion (cf the panels at the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Eastham CP and also the south door- ways and chancel arches at Eastham and the Church of St Michael, Knighton on Teme CP). On the south side of the arch is a squint. Nave has a C14 roof; there are five collar and tie-beam trusses with a central strut flanked by large swept struts and alternate subsidiary arch-braced collar trusses; all trusses have cusped swept V-struts above the collar. Chancel has sapele wood ceiling installed in 1962. Late C16 oak altar table and early C18 altar rails. Octagonal font probably original one with C19 shaft and base. C19 pulpit. Parish chest at west end. Memorials: in north-east corner of chancel late C16 painted wood tomb restored in 1853; panelled sides with coats of arms and canopy above supported by turned posts; commemorates Thomas Walshe, died 1593. At foot of tomb is large C13 tomb slab decorated with cross and branch stumps and having a Lombardic inscription round sides commemorating Redulphius who became the first recorded rector of Stockton on Teme in 1284. In the nave is a brass to William Parker, died 1508, with an 18 inch figure; also an early C19 memorial to the Nott family and a mid-C19 memorial. Glass: late C19 east window, early C20 south window, mid-C20 west window. A small Norman church notable for the detailing of its south doorway and chancel arch, its C14 south porch and nave roof and its unusual medieval memorials. (VCH 4, p 347-8; BoE p 263-4).
Listing NGR: SO7161467339
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 347-8
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 263-4
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing