Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082113.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:06:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 42602 65130


SO 46 NW; 2/3

AYMESTREY CP, A 4110 (east side)

Church of St John the Baptist and St Alkmund




Parish church. C12, extended mid-C14 and late C14, rebuilt early C16 and restored 1884-6. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and tile roofs. C14 west tower, C16 nave and aisles, C12 chancel.

West tower: four stages with diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet, Ground stage has a tall C14 west door under a two-centred arch of three chamfered orders. The first stage has a square-headed window with two trefoiled ogee lights in the west wall. The second stage has an east door leading to nave roof. The belfry has a window of two trefoiled ogee lights under a two-centred head in each wall. South aisle: three bays with C17 porch in west bay which has a cambered tie beam to front gable. The two windows are each of two cinquefoiled lights under square heads. East window of two cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred head. Clerestory above has three windows, each of two trefoiled lights, they are C14, re-set in C16. North aisle: three windows, C16, each of two cinquefoiled lights under a square head: Clerestory windows similar to those on south side. Chancel: C12, extended C14, three windows in south wall, restored C13 window of two trefoiled lights to west, C14 window of two cinquefoiled lights, with between a C12 semicircular headed window with tufa dressings. North wall has a matching C12 window and a late C19 doorway. East window late C14, restored C19, of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a two-centred head and a moulded label.

INTERIOR: rubble segmental vault under tower leads to C15 doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred head: Nave has a three-bay arcade to each aisle, the C16 arches are segmental-pointed of two chamfered orders. The re-set C12 piers are square with shafted angles, attached half-piers to responds and moulded Plinths. Chancel arch segmental pointed of two chamfered orders, the inner springing from moulded imposts: Roofs: nave C19 of three bays with shallow pitch king-post trusses, aisles have simple lean-to roofs. Chancel roof a wooden segmental barrel vault of C19.

Fittings: early C16 rood screen between chancel and nave has a central doorway flanked by three bays each side: These have linen-fold lower panels and open upper panels with trefoiled and sub-cusped heads, two similar heads to doorway: Enriched middle rail and moulded and shafted posts from which springs the vaulted soffit of loft. Vaulting has moulded ribs and cusped panels with moulded and brattished cornice. Contemporary parclose screens enclose the east bay of both north and south aisles. Each screen has a central doorway flanked by four bays on each side, side bays with linen-fold lower panels and open upper panels with cinquefoiled or trefoiled and sub-cusped heads, double heads to doorways. The cornice has a running vine decoration and is brattished. These are an exceptional survival of very high quality.

The early C18 altar rails have turned balusters and a moulded hand rail. Reredos of re-set linen-fold panelling. Wall monument on north wall of chancel to Robert Weever, died 1728, with fluted Doric pilasters and entablature. Alabaster floor slab to John Lingen, died 1506; Pulpit in north-east corner of nave is C17 and has three panelled sides in three ranges, middle range arcaded.

Listing NGR: SO4260165128


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 9-11
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 68 69


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16485/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].