CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1082567
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082567.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:49:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hatfield and Newhampton
National Grid Reference:
SO 58586 59384

Details

HATFIELD CP SO 55 NE 10/11 Church of St Leonard 11.6.59 II*

Parish church. C11 core, chancel rebuilt and nave extended in the C14, 1723, east part of nave rebuilt. Restoration of 1878 and 1903 when bell turret added. Sandstone rubble with dressings of same material, tiled roofs, weatherboard cladding to late C19 or early C20 bell turret. Nave with west porch and bell tower, chancel. Nave: north side with one restored square-headed window with two trefoil-headed lights to left and two similar windows to right of blocked C11 north doorway; plain jambs with square head formed by a heavy lintel of three stones joggled together, above a plain semi-circular headed arch enclosing a tympanum with trellis decoration. To the east of the doorway is some herringbone masonry. Three similar square headed windows each with two trefoil headed lights to south side of nave. West porch possibly retains some C14 timberwork with curved braces to outer entrance forming a pointed arch. C19 west doorway. The chancel has a restored square-headed window with two trefoil-headed lights to the north and a similar window possible of C14 to the south side. C19 three-light window to east end. Interior: the western part of the nave has been partitioned off by the addition of a gallery with a vestry and lobby and staircase below. The four chamfered posts of the bell turret revealed in the lobby may be of a medieval date. Two-centred headed chancel arch possibly of the C13; one plain continuous order. Fittings: late C11 font; tub-shaped bowl with no ornamentation. Monuments: in chancel: Sara Colles memorial: wall tablet 1672-3, oval inscription panel with bay-leaf wreathed surround, flanked by twisted Corinthian columns with entablature, broken pediment with achievement of arms. Timothy Colles memorial: wall tablet 1669, rectangular inscription panel flanked by twisted Corinthian columns with entablature and broken pediment with achievement of arms. John Colles memorial: wall tablet, 1641, with Ionic columns and broken pediment with achievement of arms. (RCHM, Vol 3, p 64; BoE, p 143).

Listing NGR: SO5858659384

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150501
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 64
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 143

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14456/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].