CHURCH OF ST PETER
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1082676
Date first listed: 29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082676 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 05:22:18.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish: Astley and Dunley
National Grid Reference: SO 78762 67619
SO 76 NE; 3/35
ASTLEY CP, ASTLEY
Church of St Peter
Parish church. Mid- late C12 chancel and nave, with east end rebuilt during early C20 and north aisle rebuilt during early C19; C14 west tower and north chapel, early C20 south porch. Red sandstone ashlar, tiled roofs. Two bay chancel, north Blount chapel, three-bay nave with wide north aisle and south porch, west tower.
West tower of three stages with two string courses has diagonal buttressing and embattled parapet with replaced C20 crocketed finials (two of former finials now flanking approach to porch). Partly restored Norman nave has string course and corbel tablet with heads and paired heads, two semicircular engaged shafts rise from plinth to string course with double shafts and central spur and continue to corbel table as single shafts, with capitals east of porch; three restored Norman windows also to east and restored trefoiled 2-light window to west; doorway, protected by early C20 part timber-framed and heavily restored porch, has double shafts and arch enriched with zig-zag ornament. Chancel has blocked doorway and Norman window to west of later protruding buttress, early C20 2-light window to east.
INTERIOR: restored chancel arch of two plain orders has imbricated ornament and responds of paired columns with nook shafts all with scallop capitals; north wall of chancel contains original Norman window now enclosed by later north chapel. Arcade of three bays has drum piers and responds with scallop capitals; acutely pointed tower arch of three chamfered orders and responds probably late C14. Nave and chancel roofs probably C19 arch-braced-collar type with moulded members, north aisle has C19 hammer-beam roof. Fittings: unusual pedestal font probably C14 with octagonal bowl has large paired petalled motif to each facet and heavily moulded top; Jacobean pulpit. North Blount chapel contains two polychrome C16 tomb chests with recumbent effigies in contemporary dress, that to the north commemorates Robert Blount who died 24th May 1573 and his wife Anne, figures of children in low relief bearing name labels decorate the sides of the tomb, on the west side is inscribed "Jhon Gildon of Hereforde made this towmes anno domini 1577". The second tomb on the south is similar and commemorates Walter Blount (1561) and his wife Isabel (1562-3). On north wall are two wall monuments, the eastern one to Thomas Winford of c1702, a good example in white marble with garlands, putti and obelisks executed by John Bacon. West tower contains two hatchments.
Listing NGR: SO7875967620
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 152263
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 234-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing