Church of St Peter

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1082960
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, B4204

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Peter
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1082960.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:25:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Peter, B4204

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Malvern Hills (District Authority)
Parish:
Martley
National Grid Reference:
SO 75635 59814

Details

SO 75 NE 6/107

MARTLEY B 4204 (south west side) Church of St Peter

29.7.59

GV I Parish church. Early C12, early C13 and circa 1315, restored 1875, 1884 and 1909. Last restoration by Sir Charles Nicholson. Ashlar, plain tile roof. Nave and chancel continuous, west tower, north vestry of 1875, south porch of 1184.

Chancel: three bays, north wall early C13 with two lancets, north vestry; east window: restored Decorated of early C14, three trefoiled lights; south wall: eastern window Decorated with two trefoiled lights, other two larger each with two ogee trefoiled lights, formerly looked into Mortimer chapel (consecrated 1315, demolished), they flank a three-centred-headed priest's door; stepped right angle buttresses to corners.

Nave: three bays, all windows restored: decorated each with two trefoiled lights in both walls. Restored early C12 south door with timber porch of 1884; blocked north door more complete and similar in design; doorway projects c150mm from wall face, with decorated semicircular head and consecration cross; wall has five bays defined by a series of early C12 pilasters, top four courses of naves walls are of alternate bands of red and white sandstone.

West tower: C15 in three stages divided by moulded string, moulded plinth, embattled parapet with pinnacles of 1909 to diagonal corner buttresses. C15 Perpendicular west window with three cinquefoiled lights; first stage has single trefoiled lights, bell chamber has windows with two cinquefoiled lights under two-centred head.

INTERIOR: chancel: double aumbry in north wall, piscina in south wall with priests head to label stop; nave: entrance to rood stairs and above rood left door, stairs were in an external projection, now lost; tower arch of two chamfered orders with moulded abaci at springing.

Roofs: similar over nave and chancel, slightly lower pitch to chancel, collar-rafter roof with straight braces from rafter to collar and ashlar pieces, five tie beams in nave, two in chancel, probably early C14. A framed tympanum divides the nave from the chancel roof, probably C17.

Fittings: wall paintings in nave of C15 including St Martin on horseback dividing his cloak for the beggar; in chancel wall paintings of late C13 and C15, including C15 canopy design on east wall, and a C15 Annunciation group on the south wall. A few late C15 Malvern tiles in chancel floor; early C20 screen, font, pulpit and organ. Late C15 recumbent effigy of alabaster against north wall of chancel, ridged coffin lid to south with traces of incised cross and pastoral staff. The two eastern windows in the south wall of the nave and central window in north wall are of circa 1915 by Walter E Tower.

Listing NGR: SO7563559816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151640
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 293-295

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06849/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Colburn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].