CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1083016
Date first listed:
07-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 17:56:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burringham
National Grid Reference:
SE 83265 09038

Details

SE 80 NW BURRINGHAM HIGH STREET (west side)

1/4 Church of St John the Baptist -

- II

Church 1856-7 by S S Teulon. Red brick in English Bond, with black brick and limestone ashlar details. Slate roof; concrete tile roof to porch. High Victorian Gothic Revival style. West tower incorporating porch to south, 5-bay nave with apsidal chancel and organ chamber/vestry on north side. Chamfered plinth and cill band. Short tower has buttresses at junction with nave, 2-light north window with trefoil-headed lights divided by ashlar shaft and pierced quatrefoil over, a similar, taller, 3-light west window with foliate capitals, and a large sunk trefoil above porch containing 3 blocked trefoils and central roundel. Stepped brick Lombard frieze at eaves. Pyramidal roof with pinnacle; octagonal chimney/turret with decorative brickwork corbelled-out from north-west angle. Porch has buttresses flanking trefoil-headed outer door with moulded ashlar imposts and blocked brick roundel above, 4-bay blind arcade to sides with shafts between trefoil-headed openings, and tumbled brick gable with stone coping and kneelers. Pointed chamfered inner door of 3 orders; board door with decorative wrought-iron strap hinges. Nave has 2-light windows with dividing shafts and pierced roundels over. Chancel has lancets and three 2-Light trefoil-headed apse windows with pierced quatrefoils over. All openings have ashlar cills and pointed brick relieving arches; those to apse, tower and porch have ashlar blocks at cusps. Steeply-pitched roof with pinnacle to right. Interior: tower open to nave and chancel, with a pointed chamfered tower arch on stepped corbels. Polychrome brick decoration: yellow walls with red diaper pattern to chancel, cross pattern to nave and bands to tower; red and black window arches. Polychrome encaustic tile floor. Open king-post roof with trusses supported on corbels and raking struts to collars. Octagonal font with coloured encaustic tile panels. C19 stained glass to south and east windows. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp 207-8; S Muthesius, The High Victorian Movement in Architecture 1850-1870, 1972, pp 84-5.

Listing NGR: SE8326509038

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165704
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Muthesius, S , The High Victorian Movement in Architecture 1850-1870, (1972), 84-85
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 207-208

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].