THE BISHOP'S MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1083181
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
THE BISHOP'S MANOR

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083181.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 00:39:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE BISHOP'S MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Howden
National Grid Reference:
SE 74880 28183

Details

HOWDEN BISHOP'S MANOR PARK SE 7428 12/78 The Bishop's Manor (formerly listed as 17.3.52 Bishop's Manor House)

GV II* Hall of the manor of the Bishops of Durham. 1388-1405 incorporating earlier work, for Bishop Skirlaugh. Alterations of the C16, C18 and C20. Magnesian limestone ashlar and rubble, brick, Welsh slate roof. Formerly an open hall and screens passage with entrance porch to north-west, now subdivided into rooms with inserted first floor. North facade: 2 storeys, 7 first-floor windows, with porch breaking forward to right. Main range: blind bay in brick to left. Moulded plinth to all other bays. C20 six-fielded-panel door beneath divided overlight with brackets holding cornice. 16-pane sash to left, otherwise sashes with glazing bars throughout. First-floor band and band over first-floor windows. Hipped roof. Ridge stack and stacks rising through side pitches of roof. Porch: stepped chamfered plinth and wide round archway with flat-headed 2-light cinque-cusped window above. Projecting embattled parapet with central niche surmounted by a pair of dogs and containing figure holding shield. West facade: tripartite sash with glazing bars to left and 5 blocked arched openings from former screens passage to right. Sashes with glazing bars to first floor and small Yorkshire sashes to attic. South facade: to left a C20 door in medieval pointed doorway of 2 moulded orders. C20 6-fielded-panel door to third bay, otherwise sashes with glazing bars throughout except for 16-pane sash to fourth bay. East facade: position of brick fireplace clearly visible to left of first floor with blocked window to right. Interior: evidence for an earlier rubble-built hall may be observed in the east wall with its tall blocked arch of uncertain function, and the stone foundations of a bench against it, probably the dais at the high end of the hall. Skirlaugh's work includes the porch with its embossed quadripartite vaulting, the axial doorway at the south end of the screens passage, the inserted doorway on the north wall of the north-east room, formerly leading to a staircase tower, and the tall windows whose jambs and springers may be seen in the south wall. The floor levels are C16. The current window positions are C18 although all windows are replacements. Several Georgian and Victorian fireplaces survive. The closed-string, turned baluster staircase is almost entirely a replica, the C17 original having been destroyed by fire. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 1972; Whitwell J B, "The Bishop of Durham's Manor House at Howden", Archaeological Journal, Vol 141, 1984.

Listing NGR: SE7488128183

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
165306
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 141, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03467/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].