SPURN LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1083476

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: SPURN LIGHTHOUSE, SPURN POINT

Map

Ordnance survey map of SPURN LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083476 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 03:37:54.

Location

Statutory Address: SPURN LIGHTHOUSE, SPURN POINT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Easington

National Grid Reference: TA 40345 11239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EASINGTON SPURN POINT TA 41 SW 14/6 Spurn Lighthouse GV II Lighthouse. 1893-5 by Thomas Matthews for Trinity House. Brick, painted, on concrete base. Tapered round tower with entrance to west. 6 storeys, surmounted by lantern; overall height approximately 36 metres. High chamfered plinth. Flight of 5 stone steps flanked by cast- and wrought-iron railings with wreathed handrail, column newel and plain balusters. Recessed double board doors with louvred lower panels and 2-pane overlight beneath segmental arch. Recessed relief panel above with painted Trinity House arms, crest and motto "Trinitas in Unitate". Deeply-recessed segmental- headed windows with projecting sills. Top section corbelled out to light inspection platform with plain railing. Cylindrical lantern with latticed glazing bars. Domed cupola with cylindrical ventilator. Built to replace Smeaton's High Lighthouse of 1771-6, demolished in 1895, and the Low Lighthouse of 1852 (qv). A prominent landmark, and one of the series of Humber Estuary lights which included lighthouses at Thorngumbald and South Killingholme (qv). Ceased operation in 1985. G de Boer, A History of the Spurn Lighthouses, East Yorkshire Local History Series No 24, 1968, pp 66-8.

Listing NGR: TA4034511239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 166547

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
De Boer, G, 'East Yorkshire History Series' in A History of the Spurn Lighthouses, , Vol. 24, (1968), 66-68

End of official listing