CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1083479
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, NORTHSIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083479.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:10:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, NORTHSIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hollym
National Grid Reference:
TA 34466 25243

Details

HOLLYM NORTHSIDE TA 32 NW (south side) 4/12 Church of St Nicholas GV II

Parish church. Tower of 1814 by William Hutchinson, remainder of 1884 by James Demaine. Grey brick to tower, yellow brick to nave with ashlar and red brick dressings. Westmorland slate roof. West tower with west door, 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining south side. Chamfered ashlar-capped plinth. 3-stage tower: 2 steps to round-arched entrance with double board door and radial fanlight in round-arched recessed panel with ashlar keystone inscribed "BUILT", ashlar string course; blank second stage, 1814 2-course brick band; round-arched belfry openings with wooden louvres and applied Y-tracery; stepped and dentilled brick cornice, coped parapet, plain ashlar angle pinnacles. Nave and chancel: buttresses with tumbled-in brick to offsets, triple round-headed windows to nave, single similar windows to chancel, stepped triple east window; twin north window to vestry. Ashlar sills, flush red brick sill and impost bands, hoods above windows, and stepped and cogged eaves cornice. Stone-coped gables with shaped kneelers. Crested ridge tiles. Ornate chimney to vestry. Interior. Nave open to chancel, with round chancel arch carried on pairs of short corbelled wall shafts. Waggon roof to chancel; ceiled hammer-beam roof to nave, of rounded-trefoil section. Polychrome tiles to chancel floor. Monuments in chancel: pair of shaped wall tablets, each with carved border, foliate drop, and urn, one to Rev Peter Atkinson of 1779, the other an inferior copy of 1816 to Rev Robert Barker; tablet to Rev Charles Hague of 1864 with cornice and pediment with acroteria. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 254; Victoria County History: York East Riding, vol 5, 1984, p 46.

Listing NGR: TA3446625243

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
166553
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 46
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 254

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].