Church of St Edith

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1083868
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Edith, Main Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Edith
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1083868.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:28:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Edith, Main Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishop Wilton
National Grid Reference:
SE 79823 55212

Details

SE 75 NE 2/11

BISHOP WILTON MAIN STREET (north side, off) Church of St Edith

26.1.67

GV I Church. C12 chancel, C12 nave with C13 aisles (rebuilt C14), early C14 north transept, late C14 west tower and spire, C19 south porch. Restored 1858-59 for Sir Tatton Sykes by J.L Pearson, with choir screen by G.E Street. Ashlar, tiled roofs. Three stage west tower (embraced) with recessed spire, four bay aisled nave with south porch and north transept, three bay chancel with north vestry.

West tower: high moulded plinth, western buttresses with offsets. Two-light pointed belfry openings. Crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials, recessed octagonal spire topped with a weathercock. Pointed west window of three lights with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould with face-stops. C19 clockface in carved surround to south side, second stage.

Nave: raised moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. South elevation has three two-light square headed windows with cusped ogee tracery. Largely rebuilt early C12 south door, three orders on nook-shafts: the outer of beasts and human figures (including some zodiacal symbols), the next of masks with trails, the next of beakhead, and the innermost of a heavily stylised beakhead. Rosettes to abaci on scalloped capitals: moulded bases with pellets, to nook-shafts. North transept: high moulded plinth and angle buttresses. Pointed north window of three lights with reticulated tracery under hoodmould with face stops. Chancel: moulded plinth and pilaster buttresses. Three narrow round-headed windows. Three similar windows, more closely spaced, to east end. Coped gables with cross finials, all C19, throughout.

Interior: north and south arcades of double-chamfered arches: C13 to north, C14 to south. Both arcades however rest on identical piers - octagonal (one cylindrical to north arcade) with high moulded bases and capitals. West tower is free standing on pointed double-chamfered arches to north, south and east. The eastern arch has projecting grotesques to east sides of capitals. Similar, smaller heads project into the tower chamber. Semi-octagonal responds throughout. Pointed double-chamfered arch from north aisle to transept: deeply undercut oak leaves and acorns to capital of north respond. C12 chancel arch of three orders with nook-shafts on moulded bases. Scallop capitals to inner order, masks in sunk demi-lunette panels with intricate geometrical ornament to capitals of outer orders. Inner order of chevrons worked on a chamfer, central order of stylised beakhead, outer order of beakhead under a hoodmould with a running trail of stylised palm leaves. C19 font: octagonal tub with niches under nodding and crocketed ogees, each containing the effigy of a saint. Elaborate timber font cover in Gothic style: effigies of four evangelists alternate with those of the four doctors of the Western church under tall fretted spire with pinnacles.

Brass and iron chancel screen: frame and open arches in brass; lower section filled with foliate designs in wrought iron to each panel, the centre marked in each case by a glass bulls-eye. Similarly treated wrought-iron overthrow to gates. Fine mosaic floor of 1902, by Salviati: black pelta-shapes alternate with birds on a white background. This was copied from a floor in the Vatican which is itself a re-used Roman example.

Monuments: group of three to the south wall of the south aisle. 1) wall tablet with Latin inscription under a cross potent to William Hildyard, died 6th October 1632. 2) to the west is a white marble tablet to Richard Darley and his wife, one of William Hildyard's three daughters. Inscription in oval cartouche with drapes and putti above and below topped by an heraldic achievement. 3) to the east a wall tablet to Welbury Norton, the grandson of William Hildyard, died 1706. Oval wall tablet with black lettered inscription and the Latin motto 'Vive et Frui' (live and enjoy yourself).

Listing NGR: SE7982155213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167700
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07344/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Gwen Knight. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].