Seasalter Old Church, St Alphege

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1084929
Date first listed:
30-Mar-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
20-May-1977
Statutory Address:
Seasalter Old Church, Church Lane
Statutory Address:
St Alphege, Church Lane

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1084929.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Jul-2020 at 01:22:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
Seasalter Old Church, Church Lane
Statutory Address:
St Alphege, Church Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TR0932464742

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25 February 2019

904/5/58

SEASALTER CHURCH LANE (north side) Seasalter Old Church, St Alphege

(Formerly listed as located on Church Lane (east side); previously listed as: PILGRIM'S LANE SEASALTER ST ALPHEGE'S CHURCH) 30-MAR-51

II Materials: Kentish Ragstone with some ironstone, flint and re-used earlier stone; early Victorian façade is flint with stone dressings. Red tiled roof.

Plan: a small rectangular plan church (comprising the former chancel) with entrance to west.

Exterior: west front is entirely of the 1845 build, with wide gabled end buttresses and an advanced central part with pointed arch door below a lancet and a raised belfry. The stone is loosely arranged in a chequerboard fashion and the quoins contribute to the patterned effect. North wall has some pink ironstone amongst the ragstone, all rubble, and has single lancet in the centre of the wall; deep buttress to north east corner. East end shows a curious assortment of rubble and reused stone, all exposed; central window of three simple modern lancets; substantial lancets to each end. South wall is similarly ragstone rubble peppered with flint, and deep buttresses at the south east corner; south wall has two single lancets

Interior: a very small and modest interior. East window set in wall with splayed cill and exposed ragstone to arch. Piscina has ogee arch. Timber panelled dado to east end. Pews are Victorian and south wall has two deep splayed window surrounds for the single lancets of simple coloured glass; to centre is what appears to have been a door but with no evidence on the outside wall. West wall has deep set window with single lancet coloured glass window of St. Alphege over doorway with depressed arch. Marble monuments to Sarah Hyder of Court Lees d.1836; Elizabeth Eagleton d.1835; Captain William Augustine Ryder d.1842.

History: The dedication to St. Alphege, the Saxon archbishop, is an unusual one nationally and especially associated with Kent. St. Alphege was murdered by Danes at Greenwich and brought to Canterbury Cathedral in 1023. The church on this site was first built in the late C12. By the 1840s, the church was in a poor condition and it was decided to build a new St. Alphege's church in Whitstable. The nave of the medieval church was pulled down and the chancel was made into a burial chapel. This new work was done by H. Marshall and the new building was consecrated on 9 October 1845. The church is now surrounded by mid C20 housing and occupies a high point on a hill set in an open churchyard with mature trees.

Source J. Newman, Buildings of England, North East and East Kent, p.454

Reasons for Designation St Alphege's Church, Whitstable, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Early English fabric from the chancel of former church constitutes fragmentary medieval survival of special interest; * The 1845 work by H. Marshall is of interest an early Victorian refronting for the church's continued use as a burial chapel, also of attractive flint and stone in a chequerwork pattern



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170809
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09646/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Poole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].