LULLINGSTONE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1085090
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
LULLINGSTONE HOUSE, 5, CASTLE STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085090.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 06:12:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
LULLINGSTONE HOUSE, 5, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TR 14749 57612

Details

1. 944 CASTLE STREET (South East Side)

No 5 (Lullingstone House) TR l457 NE 4/205 3.12.49.

II GV

2. Probably a C17 timber-framed building refaced in the early C18. It was the house of Sumner (1606-1669) the historian and compiler of the first Anglo-Saxon Dictionary. 2 storeys and basement stuccoed. 3 dormers. Parapet with coping and wide modillion cornice. Overhang. 3 sash windows set in moulded architraves with cast iron balconettes. Plinth. Central doorcase has 2 Tuscan half columns keystone, semi- circular fanlight with reeded frieze underneath and 6 fielded panelled door. 3 steps. The rear elevation has a mansard roof with 4 dormers, The interior has an C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters to each step and curved tread ends. Traces of panelling on ground floor.

Nos 1 to 9 (consec) and Nos 12 to 24 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: TR1475057611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170492
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07298/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David E. Horwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].