CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1085172
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085172.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:23:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandhurst
National Grid Reference:
TQ 79056 27308

Details

TQ72NE 1350-0/5/179

SANDHURST CHURCH ROAD CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

20/06/67

GII* Parish church. Nave and chancel C13 and C14,aisles and west tower C14,heavily restored and chancel largely rebuilt by R.C.Carpenter in 1875.Built of sandstone with tiled roof.Nave,chancel,west tower,north and south aisles with north chantry chapel,north porch and C19 south porch.C14 west tower in three stages with renewed reticulated window to first stage and tall shallow angled buttress,louvred lancets to bell stage and arched doorcase with hood moulding.Top replaced in C16 brickwork.North and south aisles,the south aisle having three restored triple cinque foiled light windows with Kentish tracery.Plinth.Nave has clerestorey with lancets.C19 north porch,wooden on sandstone base with tiled roof.Interior:West tower opens by arches to north and south into lean to aisles and has semi-octagonal responds with sunk quadrant.C14 sandstone font with Decorated tracery pattern on each face.Nave of four bays with C14 arcade with octagonal piers of two dates,except for easternmost,piers rebuilt in C19.Clerestorey lancets are probably C13.North aisle has roll-moulded roof and rood stairs. Chantry Chapel or Betherynden Chapel built C.1450 by Sir Richard Betherynden of Old Place.South aisle has in east window stained glass depicting St Michael of C.1450,reset from the Chantry Chapel.South window has remains of C15 glass,also from the Chantry Chapel,depicting St George,a priest and an abbess.Piscina between them and stoup on one side of south door.Four bay chancel has C14 aumbry but was heavily restored by R.C.Carpenter.C19 barrel vaulted ceiling.C18 wall tablet to members of Hodson family,swansneck pediment with urn in centre and console brackets.Three bells date from the C17,the oldest(No. 5)a C15 one is no longer used. Titus Oates began his clerical career here as an assistant curate.(West Kent and the Weald).

Listing NGR: TQ7905427314

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
170288
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00294/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hunt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].