MYSTOLE HOUSE SOUTH MYSTOLE WEST WING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1085682
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1980
Statutory Address:
MYSTOLE HOUSE, MYSTOLE
Statutory Address:
SOUTH MYSTOLE, MYSTOLE
Statutory Address:
WEST WING, MYSTOLE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085682.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 07:08:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
MYSTOLE HOUSE, MYSTOLE
Statutory Address:
SOUTH MYSTOLE, MYSTOLE
Statutory Address:
WEST WING, MYSTOLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Canterbury (District Authority)
Parish:
Chartham
National Grid Reference:
TR 09520 53752

Details

1. 5273 CHARTHAM MYSTOLE

Mystole House, South Mystole and West Wing (formerly listed as Mystole House and Georgian House) TR 05 SE 11/257 29.9.52.

II* GV

2. This mansion originally called Mystole House was built by Charles Fagge in the early C18 on the site of a C16 house built by John Bungey Prebendary of Christ Church Canterbury. Its principal front faces north. This is of two storeys, attics and cellars. Red brick. Hipped tiled roof with wooden modillion eaves cornice. Nine sashes with glazing bars intact. The centre portion of three windows projects with a pediment over in which the modillions have consoles below them and an attic window in the tympanum with a curved brick pediment over this window. Central doorcase with fluted Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze, pediment and semi-circular fanlight. Ground floor addition of two windows at west end with parapet over having a ball capital at its outer angle and a round-headed doorway with door of six fielded panels. The east front in 1895 was altered by Sir R Blomfield and now has six windows and five pedimented dormers, but originally had only three windows and two dormers. Modern bay window added at north end on ground and first floors. In the centre is a modern projection with a large attic storey. To the south of this is a further modern addition matching the original portion plus its modern bay. At the west of the building are service portions which are probably C17, known as West Wing. The interior contains some panelling and marble fireplaces.

Listing NGR: TR0952053752

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
171080
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].