INGRESS ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1085779
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1970
Statutory Address:
INGRESS ABBEY, THE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of INGRESS ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 07:21:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
INGRESS ABBEY, THE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Dartford (District Authority)
Parish:
Swanscombe and Greenhithe
National Grid Reference:
TQ 59143 75055

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/06/2017

TQ 57 NE, 1/86

SWANSCOMBE AND GREENHITHE, THE AVENUE (east side), Greenhithe, Ingress Abbey

02.10.70

GV

II

House built in 1833 for Alderman James Harmer in Tudor Gothic style by the architect, Charles Moreing This is probably the fifth house on the site, the manor having formerly belonged to Dartford Priory and some notable families. It is supposed to have been constructed of stone from the Old London Bridge.

The Victorian poet and journalist Eliza Cook regularly stayed here. She wrote much of her poetry, including her most famous works ‘The Old Armchair’ and ‘O, the green banks may fade’ from her room at Ingress Abbey. Cook was largely self-educated, and was popular with working-class readers. She was also a supporter of women’s rights, and in 1849 began publishing Eliza Cook’s Journal, which was directed at women and working class readers. Cook never married and from 1845 to 1849 was the partner and lover of the American actress Charlotte Cushman, for whom she wrote the poem ‘To Charlotte Cushman’.

The house is of ashlar with a slate roof. It is of two storeys plus attics in the gables with clustered chimney stacks. The plan of the house is three sides of a square with five windows to each front. The principal (north) elevation faces the river. It is flanked by projecting octagonal buttresses carried up high above the elevation and topped by ogee caps. In the centre is a three-storey projecting square tower, flanked by similar buttresses with a three-light oriel window on the first floor. At each end of the front is a gable, the east one projecting. The gables have a two-storey bay window of four-lights with enrichment between the floors and a castellated parapet over. The gable and buttresses are topped with finials. A similar parapet extends between the gables and the tower. The elevation has casement windows. The west elevation has three gables, of which the centre one has an extra-tall finial carried up to end in a heraldic beast. The whole elevation, and the central window bay which projects, are flanked by similar buttresses to those of the north elevation. The central window bay has a two-storey bay window of six-lights similar to those of the north elevation. The central doorcase has a portcullis and rose in the spandrels. The west elevation has wooden window shutters to the top windows. There is a Victorian conservatory at the rear.

The interior contains a dining room with plastered ceiling and walls and a marble fireplace, and a north entrance wall of 1835 with fretted woodwork and a fireplace with Atlantes.

Listing NGR: TQ5879975165

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172722
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12793/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Victoria Gardner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].