CHEVENING HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1085853
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHEVENING HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHEVENING HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1085853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 17:54:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHEVENING HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Sevenoaks (District Authority)
Parish:
Chevening
National Grid Reference:
TQ 48708 57667

Details

In the following items:

CHEVENING

41/91 Chevening House

the sentence at the top of page 31

'House now undergoing thorough restoration, chiefly removal of mathematical tiles and refacing in brick, removal of attic storey and replacement of pitched roof. When completed, appearance will be as follows'.

shall be amended to read:

'This attic storey and facing of mathematical tiles was removed in the 1970s'.

------------------------------------------- 1. 5280 CHEVENING CHEVENING Chevening House TQ 45 NE 41/91 10.9.54.

I

2. Original house built in second quarter of C17, design influenced by Inigo Jones. Considerable later alterations. lst house square, with 7-bay fronts north and south. In 1717 house bought by General Stanhope, later the lst Earl. During next few years pedimented side projections, quadrant links and 2 new wings flanking entrance court were added, and croisee windows altered to sashes. A wrought iron screen, with double gates to enclose entrance court-was projected. New spiral cantilevered staircase replaced old square stair. Late in Cl8 an attic storey was added and whole building and links faced in mathematical tiles. 4 giant ionic pilasters, supporting entablature, added back and front. House now undergoing thorough restoration, chiefly removal of mathematical tiles and refacing in brick, removal of attic storey and replacement of pitched roof. When completed, appearance will be as follows: 3 storeys and basement, 7 windows. High pitched, hipped, swept tiled roof with modillioned eaves cornice. Central pediment with round window, 1 segment headed dormer either side. Walls of red brick with blue headers, red brick window dressings. Rusticated stone quoins. Centre section defined by 4 giant Ionic pilasters supporting enriched entablature and pediment and resting on arcaded rusticated stone ground floor. Entablature with plain frieze at sides. Sash windows with glazing bars under gauged brick arches. Garden front similar except that 5 segment-headed dormers will replace pediment and flanking dormers of entrance front. Flight of stone steps to central terrace. Return elevations show 3 storey and basement, 3 window pedimented projections, with round windows in tympana. 5-bay ends of separate service and stable wings appear set back at either side. From entrance courtyard arcaded quadrant links to these wings of 2 storeys, 9 windows. Red brick, hipped slate roof. Centre 3 bays project under pediment crowned by cupola. Sundial in pediment of east wing, clock in west. Flanking pairs of circular dormers. 1st floor band resting on keystones of arcaded ground floor. Inside main building: Spiral cantilevered staircase by Nicholas Dubois, circa 1720. Cut string, slim turned balusters varying from 2 to 4 to the tread, ramped handrail with spiral ends, fluted Composite column newels. Dining room has panelling of second quarter of C17. Walls arcaded above dado, upper panels divided by fluted Cornithian pilasters with gilt lead capitals. 2 marble and 2 stone fireplaces of early C18 in various rooms. Bedroom with Chinese wall paper, patterns of flowers, trees birds and rocks, colours very fresh. Interior also to undergo restoration.

Listing NGR: TQ4871757714

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
356962
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 24 Kent,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].