POOR TRAVELLERS HOUSE RICHARD WATTS CHARITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1086479
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1950
Statutory Address:
POOR TRAVELLERS HOUSE, 97, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
RICHARD WATTS CHARITY, 97, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of POOR TRAVELLERS HOUSE
RICHARD WATTS CHARITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1086479 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:21:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
POOR TRAVELLERS HOUSE, 97, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
RICHARD WATTS CHARITY, 97, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 74376 68495

Details

ROCHESTER HIGH STREET TQ 7468 SW and TQ 7468 NW 7/131; 9/131 No 97 (Richard Watt's Charity or 24.10.50 Poor Travellers House) GV I Charity hostel for poor way-farers, now a museum with living accommodation above. Founded in 1586 by Richard Watts 'for a nights' lodging for six poor travellers not being rogues or proctors (ie lawyers)' and superceded when the larger almshouses were built by the Watts Charity in 1858 on Maidstone Road (qv Reference 11/175). Half timbered, 1586, refonted in Portland stone in 1771, but along the old lines; much renewed in 1604. The front range with (originally) one large room to each floor, subdivided to make a 2-room plan with central corridor, probably in 1604 when a rear stair turret (that cuts across a former window) and (at leat) one brick rear stack were also added. The remarkable survival is the storeyed late C16 rear wing with 3 rooms to each floor to house the poor travellers which, with its open gallery, seems to be modelled on contemporary coaching inns. 3 storeys. Front: symmetrical 3 bays, each under a coped gable with renewed stone finial. The centre bay projects very slightly above ground floor. Gables linked by parapet; moulded cornice; prominent plat band between each floor. Roundel in central gable wall containing heraldic achievement. 2-light windows with mullion and moulded surround, plain sill, the casements with diamond leaded panes. Below each window, a depressed panel in the form of an apron, most of them containing texts. Central doorway with moulded cornice, the wooden door surround with double ovolo moulding, considerably renewed. rear elevation of main range: stair turret (of 1604) gabled, with one 1st floor sash window: 2 large external stacks with set-offs and tumbled brickwork, one largely C19 but possibly replacing an older stack. The rear wing (into which the 1604 stack intrudes): brick and framing; roof slope (Kent tiles) continues as a catslide over upper gallery of 5¼ (originally 6) half open bays, the part bay blocked by stair turret with lath and plaster infill between uprights, the whole supported by 4 large posts (chamfered with run-outs) which divide the lower external corridor. All rooms (except those closest to the main range, altered when stair turret and stack inserted) have 2-light casements with stanchions and lift-off hinges in ovolo moulded surrounds. The interior of the 'poor travellers' rooms are very simple, with chamfered ceiling beams, unembellished brick fireplaces, and some early ironwork. The main range with framed ceiling of 6 panels, the beams chamfered and stopped (to ground and 1st floor): 2 rear fireplaces, one C17 with bake oven. Left-hand gable with blocked 4 light ovolo moulded window. Roof: diminishing principals, one truss with braces, and trenched purlins. Cellar with rubble wall that may be early.

Listing NGR: TQ7437668497

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
173061
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03741/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David G. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].