CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1087259
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, HAWKSHEAD, LA22 0NT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:01:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, HAWKSHEAD, LA22 0NT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
South Lakeland (District Authority)
Parish:
Hawkshead
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SD 35201 98060

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/05/2017

SD 3598 12/111

HAWKSHEAD Church of St Michael and All Angels

(Formerly listed as Church of St Michael and All Saints)

25.3.70 GV II Church. Late C15 or early C16, north aisle rebuilt 1578, clerestory c.1578, vestry and hearse house c.1793. Stone rubble with slate roof. Single vessel nave and chancel; aisles and chapels under lean-to roofs; west tower and north-west vestry.

Tower has west pointed entrance, two-light single-chamfered- mullioned window above, and straight-headed louvred bell opening; top cornice and embattled parapet with angle pinnacles rebuilt 1875. To south a small window with clock face above, below bell opening. Vestry under lean-to roof to north of tower has three-light mullioned windows, the mullions rounded, the lights elliptical-headed; segmental-pointed entrance to hearse house below. North aisle has similar windows of three lights with label moulds, western bay has entrance with elliptical-head; jambs roll moulded and arch rusticated; gabled porch of 1933. North chapel has east window of three lights and five-light north window similar to those in aisle; western entrance has canted head, roll-mould and flanking hollows and Sandys arms over, with initials: IS, and date: 1578, label mould and small canopy. North clerestory has four windows of three lights with wooden mullions. Chancel has window of 1893, of five lights with Perpendicular tracery. South aisle has three straight-headed windows with cusped lights and hollow-chamfered mullions, the first of three lights with label, the second of two lights,the third of three lights, the first and third probably of 1875. Chapel has pointed entrance, now window and two-light window with label mould; east three-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window. Part of cusped window head to left of former entrance. Clerestory has four windows of three segmental-headed lights. Datestone (possibly renewed) has date 1633 under cable mould (probably date of south windows).

Interior has 5-bay arcades, simple segmental arches on round piers, no capitals or bases, all heavily plastered, with whitewash and painted decoration to extradoses and pier heads by J.S. Addison c.1680. Piers to south slightly square. Roof has tie beam and collar trusses; aisles have chamfered principal rafters and purlins, those to north chapel with mouldings.

Nave and aisles, have wall paintings: texts in ornamental surrounds; by J. Addison c.1680; some possibly restored by W. Mackreth, 1711, also list of church wardens for that year on intrados in north arcade. Paintings to outer aisle walls and two in nave repainted by W. Bolton, 1876, also that to west wall. Wall monuments to nave clerestories. West wall has two Rawlinson monuments from church of St Dionis Backchurch, London. Daniel, died 1679 and Sir Thomas, died 1706, both elaborate, with columns, entablatures, cherubs and cartouches. In north chapel a chest tomb, William and Margaret Sandys, with recumbent effigies, dated 1578. Screens to north chapel, east wall panelling, stalls, pulpit, font, 1875. Late C19 stained glass to east and south.

Listing NGR: SD3519998062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
76819
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10992/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Furness. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].