Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CORBY BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087690.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 12:40:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 46864 54660



14/177 Corby Bridge 1. 4.57. I

Corby Bridge, so named on O.S. maps, but locally known as Wetheral Viaduct. Begun 1830, completed 1834, by Francis Giles and built by William S. Denton for the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway Company. Entirely of red sandstone: facing stones from Newbiggin Quarry near Carlisle and rubble infill from Wetheral and Corby Beck Quarries. Cast iron footbridge with wooden plank walkway, added at parapet level to the north face in 1851: P. Tate engineer and C.D. Richardson, contractor. 2 piers in river bed and 2 on either bank, giving 5 semicircular arches of 27 metre spans, formed of large blocks of dressed stone with channelled joints and voussoirs: parapet of 1½ metres height, giving a total height from the summer level of the river of 33 metres: width to give double track and a total length of 280 metres. A major and early railway viaduct, forming an important landscape feature in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Includes a footbridge with cast inscribed plate at the east end: foundation stones built into either side of the parapet at the west end and centrally placed stone inscribed with the engineer and builder: N.E.R. gas lamp bracket at west end (lamp missing) and central bracket (lamp missing) to light footbridge: also railings on parapet of south side.

Listing NGR: NY4686454660


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/08807/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John B. Edwards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].