CHURCH OF ST THOMAS BECKET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1088062
Date first listed:
21-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS BECKET, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS BECKET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1088062.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:00:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST THOMAS BECKET, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
Parish:
Chapel-en-le-Frith
National Grid Reference:
SK 05770 80827

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/07/2015

SK 05 80 8/42

TOWN OF CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH, MARKET PLACE (North Side), Church of St Thomas Becket

(Formerly listed as Church of St Thomas of Canterbury)

21.4.61

GV II*

Church. Early C14, refashioned in 1733 by G Platt of Rotherham. Altered in 1890-3 by Darbyshire and Smith. Restored and large extension added mid-1970s. Gritstone, part rubble, part ashlar. Lead roofs. West tower, nave with aisles and chancel. Exterior - three stage parapeted tower with pyramidal finials. Blocked, pilastered classical doorcase with triglyph and metope frieze to south. Stringcourse to each stage. Bull's eye window with four projecting keystones to south side in second stage. Third stage has twin semi-circular headed bell openings to all sides. Prominent cornice above. C19 west window. North-west corner of church engulfed in 1975 stone extension. North side and whole of chancel over, restored. Windows all C19 except two flat headed tripartite windows in chancel. Chancel has C19 vestry to north and inserted organ bay to south. South nave aisle and porch refashioned similar to tower. Three semi-circular headed windows with keystones, with pilasters between. Central arch has rustication. Prominent cornice with parapet above. South porch has banded corner pilasters-and central doorcase with projecting keystone and imposts. Traceried fanlight over eight panelled, raised and fielded door. Similar inner door. Interior - early C14 four bay nave, octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Two stepped, chamfered arches, similar chancel arch. 1733 round headed tower arch. C18 box pews in nave, C19 roofs, cusped tracery in chancel trusses. C15 font with C18 cone cover. C18 hatchment over south door. Original 168i balustered alter rails, installed at entrance to tower. Various wall memorials in white marble and slate. These include a joint memorial to Bagshaw family with classical aedicule and painted coat of arms, of 1751, in south aisle. Two in north aisle, also to Bagshaws of 1804 and 1828, both with classical decoration and surmounted by flat obelisks,

Listing NGR: SK0577080827

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82021
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12173/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Fleming. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].